• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ankhd

Best Practice - Is it better to use multiple polygons or one mesh to do Skinning

This topic is 4040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, is it better to split the mesh up into say feet legs and things or use one mesh when doing skinning, I would like to have parts of my mesh full off when it is hit with sharp objects

Advertisement
For reasons of optimisation, you want to minimise the number of submeshes (or "subsets" as Direct3D puts it), because extra submeshes can cause extra draw calls if you don't batch it properly.

But if you need those subsets, there's not much you can do about it, then is there?

One way to do that is to model both the hand and the "stump" (closed cap at the wrist) together on the whole mesh. When it is cut off you set the hand polys to invisible, revealing the stump. You can model a seperate copy of the hand to spawn if you need it to fall to the ground.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!