• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mbergstrom

Interested in starting

This topic is 4064 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all! Well I've been interested in making games for a while. I tried making flash based games but that did not quite set it for me I always wanted to try to make games like DOOM 1 & 2 like I played back in the day, but I'm not all that experienced with advanced code like C/C++ so I was thinking maybe using a game builder like RealmCrafter, Shockwave, or maybe something from Garage Games I'm thinking about maybe making my first "game" with something from Garage Games I'm not sure, I'm very tired right now and can't think straight but I just want some advice on maybe what I should do and were I should start. I should also try and mention I want to make games without spending a dime. :P

Advertisement
Welcome!!

You should begin by reading this article. It does not recommend any language or gives any clues about API's or plattforms, but it certainly will give you important guidelines on the path you should follow to accomplish your (and ours as well) dreams of game development.

And as for a language, I'd recommend you to begin with Java (since you already tried Flash), it's higher level than C/C++, it's easy, and provides a comprehensive API with full reference, and everything for free!!!

If you want to do somethig as wild as Doom, sooner or later you'll have to mess with C++ and almost cartainly with DirectX, so you'll be getting there someday.

I hope this serves you well!

Well I think i suggest you read some of the things in the ARTICLES AND RESOURCES

Also I suggest going for simple games for now (like tictactoe,guessing game) and gradually going for harder games(like pacman,sidescrollers)

Then when youre up to it go make some more challenging games...

Final advice:
-choose your computer language very well(experiment on the different languages out there) and as early as possible so you will have more time to master the langauge
-go for 2d first then 3d
-study hard
-and last but not least,KEEP YOUR DESIRE TO MAKE GAMES
(w/o it you'll get tired and quit because making games is really a hard thing to do)

GoodLuck and Have fun!!!!!!

Quote:
choose your computer language very well(experiment on the different languages out there) and as early as possible so you will have more time to master the langauge [sic]

This is actually one of the worst things you can do as a beginner. We get far too many posts every day on these forums asking "Which language should I use?" or "Which language is the best for X type of games", and they usually end up becoming long, drawn out, and filled with incorrect facts.

As a beginner, all that matters is that you pick something and stick with it. Many people worry about "wasting" time on learning the wrong language, but no matter which you pick, it will not be a waste of time. Once you learn one, learning another is far easier.

When it comes right down to it, the debate between the best language for the beginner usually boils down to C# or Python. Both have loads of resources, have tons of community support, and help develop good habits for beginners. C# has the support of Microsoft, so that gives it a slight edge in my book, but both are good, so pick one and get started.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!