• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Skeezix

GUI for c++

This topic is 4014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey! I've been programming in c for 2 years now,i've also tried java and this year I'm trying to work on c++... One thing that makes me think is that.. Are there an official GUI(graphical user interface) capabilities in c++ like the ones java has(and some graphics thing in C by using graphics.h), meaning that java can create its own gui without using windows or something else... Does c++ programmers really have to use windows in order to be able to produce GUIs?? How about for linux,what can i use for me to create gui apps(using of course c++ as the language) in linux? thanks for the help!!!

Advertisement
Welcome to the world of libraries. [smile]

C++ has no concept of a GUI. Even cin and cout are unspecified as to where the input comes from and where the output goes.

If you want to write a GUI you will need a third party library. A windows compiler usually ships with everything required to start writing Win32 GUIs. On Linux you can usually download a development library for your GUI toolkit of choice, common ones being QT and GTK. However there are other libraries such as wxWidgets which allow you to write cross platform GUI code.

I myself haven't done enough GUI programming to make a recommendation. I advise you to research some of the libraries I've mentioned and see if any of them fit what you are looking for.

If you are writing a game, and you only want a window into which you can draw, then there are otehr libraries more suited to your needs, like SDL.

Just to give you some starting points --

If you're creating a portal desktop application, I'd recommend aforementioned QT (only free for open-source; very complete toolkit) or wxWidgets (free; somewhat limited).

For an ingame GUI (a rendered GUI drawn on top of your 3D scene or whatever), there are also several libraries out there, the most prominent one probably being CeGui.

-Markus-

Quote:
Original post by Cygon
Just to give you some starting points --

If you're creating a portal desktop application, I'd recommend aforementioned QT (only free for open-source; very complete toolkit) or wxWidgets (free; somewhat limited).

For an ingame GUI (a rendered GUI drawn on top of your 3D scene or whatever), there are also several libraries out there, the most prominent one probably being CeGui.

-Markus-

I've programmed in both QT and wxWidgets and Markus is right on here. QT is a fantastic library but the licensing costs for commercial use were so high we even had to give it up at work. If you are doing open source software then I highly recommend QT. If not wxWidgets is really great once you get used to it. It has its quirks and rough edges but you can't beat the price.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!