• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problem with templates [C++]

This topic is 3827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

template <class Vehicle>
class Manager2D
{
public:
	typedef std::map<int,std::multimap<int,Vehicle*>> MapaVehicles;
	typedef std::map<int,std::multimap<int,Vehicle*>>::iterator IteradorMapaVehicles2;
};

so, the compiler is telling me somethink like
"warning C4346: 'std::map<int,std::multimap<int,Vehicle*>>::iterator' : an independent name is not a type
        prefix with 'typename' to indicate a type"

//original (Spanish):

"warning C4346: 'std::map<int,std::multimap<int,Vehicle*>>::iterator' : un nombre dependiente no es un tipo
        prefijo con 'typename' para indicar un tipo"

Where should I put the 'typename' keyword?

Advertisement
As the error message is saying, you should prefix the type it's complaining about with typename.
typedef typename std::map<int,std::multimap<int,Vehicle*> >::iterator IteradorMapaVehicles2;

Also note that the closing angle brackets for nested templates need to be separated with a space. If they form a >>, a conformant compiler will parse it as a right shift.
Visual Studio has an extension to support the space-less variant, but it's not standard.

I thought I've tried to write anywhere 'typename', it looks I didn't xD. Programming a template is realy painfull (And it seems I'll never know everythink avout how it works). But they really do help once implemented.

Thank you for helping me; rate++ ;-)

The reason you need to use typename there is because what iterator is depends on the template parameter Vehicle. To disambiguate and to indicate to the compiler that it is a type, one uses the typename keyword.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement