• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sk8ter

What to do after learning the language?

This topic is 4042 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, so I havent quite gotten c++ down but I was wondering what to do after I do to start programing games?

Advertisement
Learning a language (especially one as complex as C++) is likely a much more involved process than you think. You may be getting close to understanding all the syntax of the language, but that doesn't mean you've learned it. I've used C++ for years and I still learn new things about it frequently.

This isn't to be discouraging, learning the syntax to the language is definitely a very important step. Just be aware that just because you know all the keywords doesn't mean you know a language.

Anyway, if you're interested in programming games, the best thing to do is just start programming games. Make hangman, tic-tac-toe, animals, and simple console text based games like that to start. Just try and push your limits and add something new that you've never done before to each game.

Buy a beginners book on DirectX :)

Some win32 knowledge may help but really not needed at all.
Takes you half a page to get a window up, beyond that it's just mouse/keyboard input, nothing a couple of short tuts can't cover in 5min.

Hi and welcome!

More important than learning a particular language, you shuold learn the basics of software design and engineering, which ae independent of the language chosen. The next step is to learn the tricks and features of an API. DirectX is an excellent option, since it uses COM objects, thus making it independent of the language. Besides, it is quite powerful and it's ideal when working on Windows plattforms.

Start with the basics (Tetris, hangman, breakout, pac-man), and then try something harder (e.g. Super Mario Bros.). Once you are profficient in 2d, try making a RPG, and then begin experimentation with 3d.

The most important of all is to persevere: The road shall be long and hard, and often you'll find yourself in a dead-end, but Never Give UP!!

Good Luck!

Quote:
Original post by Sk8ter
What to do after learning the language?

Practice it, you never really finish learning the language, but at some point the learning curve gets really steep, and the only way to keep climbing it is to make use of what you know.

If you're interested in doing games, just start really simple and work your way up. Maybe write a little game just using text:

#.#####
#.....#
###.#.#
#.#.#.#
#...#.#
#####.#

imagine the # signs as walls and the .'s as empty space. You can make levels and have a character walk around them. Then add monsters or some challenge of some kind. Something like this will give you experience using the basics of the language (and can be a lot of fun). Start simple, and build up from there.

Once you've done a few bigger projects and have gotten the hang of programming in the language, maybe try upgrading your game with some simple 2D graphics, but don't rush it :).

Have fun ;D

Quote:
Original post by Fireborn
If you're interested in doing games, just start really simple and work your way up. Maybe write a little game just using text:

#.#####
#.....#
###.#.#
#.#.#.#
#...#.#
#####.#

imagine the # signs as walls and the .'s as empty space. You can make levels and have a character walk around them. Then add monsters or some challenge of some kind. Something like this will give you experience using the basics of the language (and can be a lot of fun). Start simple, and build up from there.

As far as inspiration for this type of game, look up "ADOM". It is an EXTREMELY good implementation of that idea.

But anyway, just do like everyone said any make games. If you get creative you can actually do alot with text,if your not comfortable switching to graphics. I have made Pong using only text for example. Also, if you are interested in this area, maybe write small app/utilities. You don't need to make it feel like homework, but write fun little text programs, the kind of things that you may see in a programming tutorial book as examples (mad lib, word games, hang man, tic tac toe, etc)

The main thing to do is just practice ALOT. Doesn't matter how you practice. Assuming your not planning on this as a career, you could never move on to graphics and program text for the rest of your life, or you could make the next advanced 3D engine. It really doesn't matter how you do it, just that get experiece (too many MMOs, almost put XP :P).

Anyway, if that was jumbled, it's because I'm tired and kinda not really fully here.

Thanks,
Cody

What the others have said, you need practice, and you need to challenge yourself to continue learning new things. Pick a game idea that you think might be reasonable given what you know and see if you can make it; when you discover there's something you don't know how to do or think you could probably do a better way you've found something new to learn.

well the advice above was very good!!! so i suggest following them.

another suggestion is read,read,read(there's a lot of good articles in the articles and resources section!!)

it doesn't hurt to gain more knowledge and practice as well

good luck and have fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!