Tabletop RPG System (Need help)

Started by
8 comments, last by Bade93 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I'm a newcomer to GameDev forums and I'd like to get some help from members on this site for an RPG system I'm developing. It is one part of a large project that will end up becoming a strategic tabletop game. My basic idea is that every "unit" in the game have their line of stats that they may improve using IPs (Improvement Points). A single IP can raise a single stat's points by 1. However, I had another idea where I use a "rank" system. A single IP could, instead, raise a stat's "rank". Five ranks in a stat would equal 1 point of that stat. My problem is that I think the system is too simple. The game is going to be smaller scale than, say, "Warhammer", and more involved with RPG-like mechanics, so I want players to develop their characters, but I don't want characters to be off-balance (ruling out the randomness of dice rolling).
Advertisement
I see no problem with simple.

Im a huge fan of K.I.S.S.

Only add complexity to something if the complexity actually adds something to the game.

The one point per stat could be good, but make each stat very important, so that the decision to add to one is important, and avoid a dumpstat where you can leave weak.
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Just because it's an RPG doesn't mean that it has to have complex stat building.

You've asked a single question about one single stat. We don't have any more information other than that. What other stats are there to consider? How do those stats factor into gameplay? How are those stats affected by line of sight? Is IP the same thing as an experience point? If not, how do they accrue IP?

I'm not saying that you have to spill everything about your game, but asking for advice on a single stat when we know nothing else isn't going to help too much.
IPs are gained when the unit is made. The unit may spend their 5 IPs on any of their 6 upgradeable statistics, as long as they don't spend more than 2 IPs on a single statistic (Note, a statistic that equals "2" can greatly differ from a statistic that equals "4").

Another way to earn IP is through a feature called "training", where the unit gains IP according to how many enemy units they kill in a game. The limitations are; they keep any damage dealt to them in games, and when spending IPs just gained from battle, they are restricted to a "2 IP per statistic" limit.

I'm wondering, according to anyone's experience, if this may be too powerful or too much of a "cookie cutter" stat gain system. This game SHOULD have as many RPG elements as it has strategy game elements.
Sounds like it could become powerful, but couldn't that add to the RPG/strategy side of things? To me, that's something you refine later after testing.

To avoid complications during a battle, why not just tally it all up when it's over?
Quote:Original post by jesot
To avoid complications during a battle, why not just tally it all up when it's over?

My plan was to do that.

The entire idea behind the "training" system was it to be an optional feature that may be applied to units in order to add more RPG elements in the game.

I might even add in a system where the player is able to select certain units to be characters. The characters would be able to have more perks and specialties compared to normal units.

Thank you all for the help. Later on, I'll post a topic on the game I'm developing, BlackHole.
Quote:Original post by Bade93

I might even add in a system where the player is able to select certain units to be characters. The characters would be able to have more perks and specialties compared to normal units.

This sounds strange. Since a plausible army is going to have leaders, elite troops and cannon fodder (and you can gently tilt the rules to ensure this structure is respected) it makes little sense to restrict nifty features to a few units only; you reduce flexibility without visible benefits.
"Characters" will emerge naturally: the player is going to invest a lot of attention, in-game resources and emotional attachment into the most important troops and treat the others as replaceable and expendable assets, especially if the game rules are such that heroes can really make a difference (and therefore deserve micromanagement) and losses of cheap units are really only a sacrifice of human material and resources (for example, slow accumulation of experience would cause the player to protect his wounded and decimated investment rather than dismiss and replace units).
Special abilities that are cool for one unit but unacceptable for large numbers are probably unbalanced; in most cases you can trust the player to avoid silly and useless assignments of perks, and things that are really unique or "special" can be restricted by unit rank (e.g. every officer must have Leadership, but less than his superior) or tied to items (e.g. the single guy with the Rain Bow gets the Infallible Shooter perk, everyone else can miss and relies on mundane Archery skill).

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Well if you are making an RPG in the style of warhammer you should take a look at the two such games that game workshop produced.

Necromunda A gang based skirmish game. Players control gangs of normally around 7 units in size. Units gain experince during battles that improves their combat abilites, as well as injuries which. Winning gangs also gain credits which can be used to buy better equipment and new members.

Warhammer Quest An adventure game where each player controls a warrior and you explore dungeons with them. Killing monsters, finding loot, gaining levels.

Take a look them they'll give you a few ideas.

Maybe write a quick program that would use your stat system to simulate battles. Have it run a couple 1000 battles and look at the results to see if your system is ballanced. It won't tell you much about the effectiveness of strategies or the impact of role playing, but it could be a good analysis of the math.
Quote:Original post by LorenzoGatti
Quote:Original post by Bade93

This sounds strange. Since a plausible army is going to have leaders, elite troops and cannon fodder (and you can gently tilt the rules to ensure this structure is respected) it makes little sense to restrict nifty features to a few units only; you reduce flexibility without visible benefits.

Something I want to do to make the game special is that most of the units in the game are characters themselves - I want players to have flexibility. The point of the 'characters system' would be to add more RPG elements in-game. This includes; minor bonuses for a character for certain conditions (for example, +1 damage against units from a certain faction), an ability that helps them win the game (perhaps a temporary morale bonus for all units on your side that may be used once per game), or something the character may craft before battle (for example, a shotgun that shoots double the times a normal shotgun does in a single turn).

These special features would come at a price though. A character may have a limited amount of points to equal. Each feature would add to the character's total point value, and in the end the character could only equal up to, say, 600 points (the game is much smaller scale than Warhammer, so a normal unit w/ weapons and other equipment would cost about 200 to 300 points).

EDIT: On a side note, 'characters' (or 'special characters') and 'units' are both different things in my game's rules.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement