• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Shadows

This topic is 3843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm making a flight simulator type thing, and I want the planes to have shadows. I tried to reverse engineer NeHe 27, but only the .exe ran, and I couldn't get the program to work otherwise. I program in Python, so any code in Python is more useful. What would be great is a Python version of something like NeHe 27 or at least the key function calls. Thanks, G

Advertisement
I'm working from:
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~ghali/courses/texts/redbook/html/09-10-shadowmap.c.html
which I translated into Python, but the glDrawPixels() call is really really slow. Why?
G

I think I'm onto something with this other tutorial:
http://www.paulsprojects.net/tutorials/smt/smt.html
I've translated it from the C++ it's in to Python. I think that these lines don't work:
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_MODE_ARB, GL_COMPARE_R_TO_TEXTURE)
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_FUNC_ARB, GL_LEQUAL)
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_DEPTH_TEXTURE_MODE_ARB, GL_INTENSITY)
I see the torus and the spheres, but no shadow. I commented them out because I can't get the extensions. How would one do it without the extensions?

Try setting up shaders. Because the methods using fixed function pipeline is both confusing and slow because you draw the scene 3 times. If you do a shader, it will only require 1 draw.

I'm definitely willing to consider that.
A few problems, though:

a) I've never used shaders; I know nothing about them--not how to get them, how to program them, set them up, etc.
b) I'll need a tutorial.

Given that, I think that shaders would be good if they only require 1 pass.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!