Curved screens

Started by
4 comments, last by Scoob Droolins 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello everybody! i'm going to produce a screen that looks properly on curved screen such as cylinder screens. i thought i should find a function and implement it in screen space, but before finding the function i wanna know how can i implement a function in screen space. of course that is not a standard way and it's just my thought. so if you had such a experince, please give me some guidelines. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Perhaps Paul Bourke would have some advice. He specializes in large scale visualization.
I have no expertise in this area, but as far as I can tell, the only problem is the projection operation. I doubt that the FFP would be of much use, as a linear projection wouldn't do the trick, but by coding your own projection into the vertex shader (with a full set of trig operations available), you could map just about anything to anything.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
you know, it is better not to use shaders becaues you have to
do the other thinks like lights by yourself, i don't know maybe
we should use the drivers of graphics cards.
Quote:Original post by ahmadi86
you know, it is better not to use shaders becaues you have to
do the other thinks like lights by yourself, i don't know maybe
we should use the drivers of graphics cards.

[looksaround]
I'd be rather surprised if you managed not to use the drivers.

Anyway, a fact of the matter is that the fixed-function pipeline only offers support for linear transformation of vertex coordinates (in the form of a world-view-projection matrix). You may have some success with a well crafted linear projection - it depends largely on the curvature and FOV of the display - but arbitrary projections demand more control. In particular, conversion to polar coordinates is impossible without the use of trigonometry.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
This link may be helpful: Projection Designer. The downloadable program is very well done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement