Sign in to follow this  

How to make a racing game?

This topic is 3734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello friends, I am not a game designer, but would like to vent my frustrations with the current state of affairs in the racing game genre. I would also appreciate feedback from those in the know. Maybe I'm expecting too much right now at our current state of technology? Maybe these improvements that I am about to discuss are unattainable right now? My feeling is that they are not, and that there may be a general ignorance in the industry as to what would make a great racing game. When it comes to capturing the experience of real racing, every racing title I've played seems to fall short. Things are far too clean. The game play is far too linear and static. Where is all the physical feedback from the track? Engine sounds are a far cry from the real thing. Real racing is a gut-wrenching, volatile, shifty, rattling, bumpy experience. The FMV on Forza 2 captures this from an external POV, which indicates these guys know a bit about the details, but they didn't program any of that into the actual game play! My first slight glimpse of just one aspect of what I'm talking about came already in PGR3. The in car view is the best yet. The dynamic dirt effects on the windshield are a step in the right direction visually speaking. These games look incredible, but they lack the esthetics of real racing. Everything is always way too smooth and polished. They need to dirty things up a bit. The engine sounds, my God. Is this a joke?! Have any of you ever been to a race? Race cars, with the exception of many prototype, and F1's are rough and ever changing - they have a random throaty grumble at varying frequencies depending on the RPM, in addition they have pop-off valves that "pop". Anyone who has ever had racing experience knows what I'm talking about. I find it hard to believe that game developers are not receiving input from professionals in the auto racing scene? Any thoughts? [Edited by - pianoman1976 on October 28, 2007 2:38:40 PM]

I think this is because they are more ment to be more of a game than they are a simulation. They also want them to be FUN and SELL, not neccessarily realistic.

Quote:
Original post by Falling Sky
I think this is because they are more ment to be more of a game than they are a simulation. They also want them to be FUN and SELL, not neccessarily realistic.

I would think that if you included the elements I mentioned, you'd have a tremendously fun and exciting game that would sell like no other.

The more realistic games become, the more popular they become.

Well that depends. Some of my friends are arcade fans and do not like games that are made to be racing sims one bit.

Me on the other hand am just like you. I too want a very nice Racing Sim though I can't seem to find it. The closest that I see to it is Nascar Racing 2003. A game that is a little out of date, but with the mods that are out for it make the game so much fun and up to date.

Chad

Sign in to follow this