Good game to start with?(C# and XNA)

Started by
4 comments, last by Side Winder 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello. I think I have a good grasp of the basics of C# programming, and I'm wondering what a good 2D game to start with would be. Any advice and maybe tips to get me started(like basic design strategies and stuff) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Hey!

I dunno, just pick something. Depends on how good you are at problem solving and programming in general. Snake or something is probably one of the easiest games to make. But if you think you know how you would do that, and that it seems too simple, pick something else.

Here are some ideas in what I believe to be of ascending difficulty:

Snake clone
Pong clone
Breakout clone
Tetris clone
PacMan clone
Super Mario clone or other side scroller

And then you could always come up with your own game. That would probably be more fun.

The only way to know if it is of appropriate difficulty is to try. And don't be afraid of a little work. It's not supposed to be simple all the time. That way you will learn more. But if it's your first game, and you don't know how you would make any of these, just pick one of the first few games, the one that you think is the most fun.

And the more you do yourself, the more you will learn. Try making it on your own, and ask for help on specific problems if you're stuck.

[Edited by - tufflax on October 28, 2007 4:49:34 PM]
Hmmm, okay, thanks.
Personally I think that a Snake clone would be significantly more difficult than a Pong clone, but YMMV.
  • Rock, Scissors, paper, stone

• Guess the number between 1 and 100

• Hangman

• [wink]
    Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
    Noughts and Crosses (Tic Tac Toe) would be a good game to start with I think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement