• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Atoytoy

Need games for website.

This topic is 4001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have a games website and am interested in offering the site to developers to feature their games. How can I let developers know that Atoytoy.com can be used as a platform to present their games. I am developing this website to in the future launch a game I created. What is delaying me is the finances. I submitted the game to the Patent and Trademark office and I got a call from the examiner letting me know that it is one of the best patents they have received in that department for the past 30 years. My funds are low and I would have to pay a law firm to write up the claims and well it all gets expensive. In time I will launch it. I think it would be to the advantage of some developers as their game and names would get publicity. What do you think and what are your suggestions. Thank you in advance for your response, Atoytoy

Advertisement
Well this is a multi-facited issue.

First, what types of developers are you offering the site to. If you want to offer the site to small game developers, I would suggest joining the IGDN (Independant game developers network) That is all it is, is developers on the way up to the top.

Next, the whole patent thing and games confuses me a bit. I have done patents before so I am familiar with the concept. Did you mean that you have submitted the a provissional patent to the USPTO? To get a patent, takes lots of money, and about 3 or more years. I don't know why you would patent a game, or even knew you could. Most games are protected by registered trademarks and copyright laws. I haven't ever heard of a patent on a video game (the game, not the technology) However, I suppose it could be done.

As far as finances. This is a hard one. There are about 2000 game development companies that are starting up each year. The trouble is they all have a problem getting finances and all of them claim to have the next best thing. So it is very very difficult to get funding for game development. Most of the time, a game is pitched (usually by a demo) to a publisher which will give you a up front on your royalties of the game. That is a tough process as well seems how most of the people that decide what to publish are not very creative themselves and only look at games from a number crunching point of view.

So I hope this gives you some view into the real world of game development. It is a very harsh place to live.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!