• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

hud on 3d terrain?

This topic is 3730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm trying to draw a HUD and crosshair on a terrain. I've drawn the 3D stuff first, then the 2D HUD as a sprite. What I get displayed is the HUD behind the 3D terrain which only becomes visible when I look skyway. Also the radar map (lower right quadrant of the screen) always obscures 1/4 of the HUD which is centered in the middle of the screen. Code below. Any help appreciated. Thx! void RenderToTexDemo:OnResetDevice() { //Render 3D Objects mGfxStats->onResetDevice(); mTerrain->onResetDevice(); mRadarMap->onResetDevice(); mSky->onResetDevice(); HR(mRadarFX->OnResetDevice()); float w = (float)md3dPP.BackBufferWidth; float h = (float)md3dPP.BackBufferHeight; mFirstPersonCamera.setLens(D3DX_PI * 0.25f, w/h, 1.0f, 2000.0f); mBirdsEyeCamera.setLens(D3DX_PI * 0.25f, w/h, 1.0f, 2000.0f); //Render 2D Objects (i.e., HUD and crosshair //gbb HUD start HR(mSprite->OnResetDevice()); // Sets up the camera 1000 units back looking at the origin. D3DXMATRIX V; D3DXVECTOR3 pos(0.0f, 0.0f, -1000.0f); D3DXVECTOR3 up(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); D3DXVECTOR3 target(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&V, &pos, &target, &up); HR(gd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &V)); // The following code defines the volume of space the camera sees. D3DXMATRIX P; RECT R; GetClientRect(mhMainWnd, &R); float width = (float)R.right; float height = (float)R.bottom; D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&P, D3DX_PI*0.25f, width/height, 1.0f, 5000.0f); HR(gd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &P)); // This code sets texture filters, which helps to smooth out distortions // when you scale a texture. //HR(gd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR)); //HR(gd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR)); //HR(gd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR)); // Disable Direct3D lighting. HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, false)); // Specify an alpha test and reference value. HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHAREF, 10)); HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHAFUNC, D3DCMP_GREATER)); // Setup alpha blending. HR(gd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE)); HR(gd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1)); HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA)); HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA)); // Indicates that we are using 2D texture coordinates. HR(gd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_TEXTURETRANSFORMFLAGS, D3DTTFF_COUNT2)); //gbb HUD end } void RenderToTexDemo::updateScene(float dt) { mGfxStats->update(dt); gDInput->poll(); gCamera->update(dt, mTerrain, 5.5f); } void RenderToTexDemo::drawCrossHair() { // Turn on the alpha test. HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHATESTENABLE, true)); // Draw the crosshair. HR(mSprite->Draw(mCrossHairTex, 0, &mCrossHairCenter, 0, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 255, 255))); HR(mSprite->Flush()); // Turn off the alpha test. HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHATESTENABLE, false)); }

Advertisement
Thx. I added the following just before I disable D3D lighting.

HR(gd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE, D3DZB_FALSE));

The problem now is that it messes up my 3D cube map terrain as the z-buffer is disabled.

The objects are drawn as follows: radar map, terrain, then the hud (sprite).

void RenderToTexDemo::drawScene()
{
// Render 3D objects
// Draw into radar map.
D3DXVECTOR3 pos(gCamera->pos().x, gCamera->pos().y + 1000.0f, gCamera->pos().z);
D3DXVECTOR3 up(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
mBirdsEyeCamera.lookAt(pos, gCamera->pos(), up);

mRadarMap->beginScene();
gd3dDevice->Clear(0, 0, D3DCLEAR_TARGET|D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, 0xff000000, 1.0f, 0);
gCamera = &mBirdsEyeCamera;
mTerrain->draw();
mRadarMap->endScene();

// Draw sky and terrain
gCamera = &mFirstPersonCamera;

HR(gd3dDevice->BeginScene());
mSky->draw();

mTerrain->draw();

HR(gd3dDevice->SetStreamSource(0, mRadarVB, 0, sizeof(VertexPT)));
HR(gd3dDevice->SetVertexDeclaration (VertexPT::Decl));

HR(mRadarFX->SetTexture(mhTex, mRadarMap->d3dTex()));
UINT numPasses = 0;
HR(mRadarFX->Begin(&numPasses, 0));
HR(mRadarFX->BeginPass(0));
HR(gd3dDevice->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 2));
HR(mRadarFX->EndPass());
HR(mRadarFX->End());

mGfxStats->display();

HR(gd3dDevice->EndScene());

// Present the backbuffer.
//HR(gd3dDevice->Present(0, 0, 0, 0));

// End Render 3D objects

// Render 2D HUD

HR(gd3dDevice->BeginScene());
HR(mSprite->Begin(/*D3DXSPRITE_OBJECTSPACE|*/D3DXSPRITE_DONOTMODIFY_RENDERSTATE));
drawCrossHair();
HR(mSprite->End());
HR(gd3dDevice->EndScene());

// Present the backbuffer.
HR(gd3dDevice->Present(0, 0, 0, 0));

// End Render 2D HUD
}

I still get no HUD. Any other ideas on how to overlay a HUD on a 3D terrain?

Thx.

Hi thanks again.

I think turning off all blending will work fine for the rest of the hud, but I would think I need alpha blending on for the crosshairs, which I'm trying to get working now.

Should I be using SetTransform and PerspectiveFowLH to get the crosshairs to appear or is a straight draw using screen coordinates ok?

Thx.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement