Irrlicht vs TV3D (hope this is the correct forum)

Started by
1 comment, last by double O seven 16 years, 5 months ago
I just have to point out right away that I'm not a tech guru, so forgive me if any of this sounds confusing. Basically Im going to be making a 3D rpg and theres 2 possibilities that I've been bouncing back and forth with as far as what engine to use. I already know what Irrlicht can do because I made the models for a game project that a programmer friend of mine threw into it. Irrlicht is pretty damn stable in my opinion. But it lacks a few elements as far as graphics goes because theres better technology nowadays. Then theres TV3D (TrueVision 3D) that I've been doing some research on and I have to say its not bad from what I can tell thus far. Its graphics core is pure C++, it can script in quite a few languages such as VC++, Blitz and a lot more. But TV3D supports something called FX Loading for shader support. I found a few resources in the TV3D data base that are devoted to shaders. One is called Shaders for Games, the other is GroundZero Development. I guess its a requirement for any game engine to support FX Loading to use the shaders that both sites provide. Not sure though. www.shadersforgames.com http://groundzerodevelopment.co.uk/Module2.html and heres the features for Irrlicht http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html TV3D http://www.truevision3d.com/page-15-tv3d-features So theres 3 questions I have,... 1.) Well the first thing I'd like to inquire is which of these engines would ya'll use for a full scale 3D rpg project? (Please don't turn this into a debate, I just need opinions, thats all). For that matter, give me some suggestions on available engines that ya'll think would be worthy. Any engines at all. 2.) Does Irrlicht support FX Loading? I read something on its outline about HLSL, so is that in any relation to FX? If not, could it be implemented since theres a freely available source code? 3.) If I'm right about this, its really gonna suck. According to the features, TV3D supports Animations from MAYA, 3DS, and Milkshape. Does that mean that its static meshes are the same? Because it doesnt mention any file formats. I need to be able to get .X and .Obj files into the engine. Does TV3D have that ability? Thanks for any help. Its much appreciated.
Advertisement
3)Yes static meshes work the same. There are plugins that you can install for 3DSMax and Maya that will allow you to export meshes directly to the native TV3D formats, from either program. .TVM format = static meshes. .TVA format = animated meshes or actors as they usually call them.

if you are using Max, Maya or Milkshape, you shouldn't have problems as the majority of people using TV3D use one of those programs and ofcourse those apps either import .x or .obj files by default or via plugin, and you can simply use the TV plugin to export to native format. There are ofcourse others using different 3d Apps. Take a look in the forums and see what people are using.

[Edited by - HumanoidTyphoon on October 29, 2007 8:16:54 AM]
Quote:Original post by HumanoidTyphoon
3)Yes static meshes work the same. There are plugins that you can install for 3DSMax and Maya that will allow you to export meshes directly to the native TV3D formats, from either program. .TVM format = static meshes. .TVA format = animated meshes or actors as they usually call them.

if you are using Max, Maya or Milkshape, you shouldn't have problems as the majority of people using TV3D use one of those programs and ofcourse those apps either import .x or .obj files by default or via plugin, and you can simply use the TV plugin to export to native format. There are ofcourse others using different 3d Apps. Take a look in the forums and see what people are using.

thanks for your help.

on 3 what I meant is I know MAYA, MAX and Milkshape are used to get animation content in and out of the engine. But what about static meshes? The objects that just sit there? Thats the stuff I need .X and .Obj capabilities for. Because I dont own MAX or MAYA so thats why I was curious as to what static mesh formats are supported.

but thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement