sdl+opengl sdl_image to texture problem

Started by
13 comments, last by blackcloak 16 years, 5 months ago
I have two questions: 1) how can I translate opengl coords to normal sdl-like coords (ie 0,0 is the top-left most screen coord)? 2) I can't get my image to display. It only displays a lame white box. here are the two relevant files: http://nghost-project.com/temp/gfxengine.cpp http://nghost-project.com/temp/icepanel.cpp NOTE: I'm really _really_ new at opengl stuff. so I'm sure there are a lot of redundancies and really bad code. I hope to get a lot of suggestions from you experienced types. big big thanks
Advertisement
Why do you need to translate from OpenGL coordinates to SDL coordinates? Generally speaking, if you're using OpenGL, SDL coordinates are pretty much irrelevant, as OpenGL does your rendering.
I want my code to be backwards-compatible with my earlier version written in straight sdl. I'm basically rewriting my SDL gui toolkit to be rendered with opengl. All the coords of the objects are specified via a xml file. I figured it would be advantagious to keep the same form in the xml and just translate the coords. That way user's button at x,y still appears at x,y and he won't have to change anything.
How is this Artificial Intelligence?
I think it got moved somehow, as it was in a different forum when I replied earlier. I'll move it back over there.
Quote:Original post by kev000
I want my code to be backwards-compatible with my earlier version written in straight sdl. I'm basically rewriting my SDL gui toolkit to be rendered with opengl. All the coords of the objects are specified via a xml file. I figured it would be advantagious to keep the same form in the xml and just translate the coords. That way user's button at x,y still appears at x,y and he won't have to change anything.

Ok, that's subtly different from what you said. Really you're looking to be able to use projected screen coordinates rather than world coordinates. For this, you typically need an orthographic projection, via glOrtho. Try searching this and the OpenGL forum for that keyword.
Here is the set up code i use to archive sdl coordinates in opengl
glViewport( 0, 0,  m_iScreen_Width,  m_iScreen_Heigth );    glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );    glLoadIdentity();    glOrtho( 0, m_iScreen_Width, m_iScreen_Heigth, 0, -1, 1 );    glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );    glLoadIdentity();

I then flip the textures by using the texture coordinates on the polygon
Black CloakEpee Engine.
thanks blackcloak for the example. any hints on why my texture isn't showing up as anything but a white box?

thanks again
Can I see the code for how your are createing the texture? Most likely you are missing these funtion calls (your arguments to them may be different)
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
before your glTexImage2D.
If that does not work you are welcome to look at how I am doing it
Epee Engine look at the Sprockets::CreateTexture function and the Render function.
Black CloakEpee Engine.
here is my exact function that creates the texture.

int gfxengine_opengl::createTexture(SDL_Surface *surface, string name)
{
/* Status indicator */
GLuint texture;
/* Create storage space for the texture */
SDL_Surface *TextureImage[1];
textureID t;
/* Create The Texture */
glGenTextures( 1, &texture );

/* Typical Texture Generation Using Data From The Bitmap */
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
/* Generate The Texture */
glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, surface->w,
surface->h, 0, GL_RGBA,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surface->pixels );

/* Linear Filtering */

t.handle=texture;
t.name=name;
textures.push_back(t);
cout<<"texture handle: "<<t.handle<<endl;
int texid=textures.size()-1;
/* Free up any memory we may have used */
if ( surface )
SDL_FreeSurface( surface );

return texid;
}

int gfxengine_opengl::drawRect(SDL_Rect coords,int texid)
{
glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT );
glLoadIdentity();
//glColor3f(0.7f,1.0f,0.3f);
cout<<textures[texid].handle<<" "<<textures[texid].name<<endl;
glTranslatef( 0.0f, 0.0f, -4.0f );
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[texid].handle );
glBegin( GL_QUADS ); /* Draw A Quad */
glTexCoord2f( 0.0f, 1.0f );glVertex3f( -35.0f, 1.7f, 0.0f ); /* Top Left */
glTexCoord2f( 1.0f, 1.0f );glVertex3f( 35.0f, 1.7f, 0.0f ); /* Top Right */
glTexCoord2f( 1.0f, 0.0f );glVertex3f( 35.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f ); /* Bottom Right */
glTexCoord2f( 0.0f, 0.0f );glVertex3f( -35.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f ); /* Bottom Left */