• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
musafir2007

VHDL Help Please...

This topic is 3978 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I have just started to learn VHDL and I am really confused how it works. This is NOT my hw. This is a part from lecture notes and I just want to understand what all this means. I've put a quote in front of lines I need clarification on. Also I using "ModelSim XE III". How can I simulate the waves for this code? Thanks a lot!
LIBRARY ieee;
USE ieee.std_logic_1164.ALL;
USE ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;
USE ieee.numeric_std.ALL;

ENTITY TestExample1_vhd IS                   -- What does this part DO???
END TestExample1_vhd;

ARCHITECTURE behavior OF TestExample1_vhd IS 

-- Component Declaration for the Unit Under Test (UUT)
	COMPONENT example1
	PORT(
		R : IN std_logic;
		S : IN std_logic;          
		Q : OUT std_logic;
		Qbar : OUT std_logic
		);
	END COMPONENT;

--Inputs
	SIGNAL R :  std_logic := '0';
	SIGNAL S :  std_logic := '0';

--Outputs
	SIGNAL Q :  std_logic;
	SIGNAL Qbar :  std_logic;

BEGIN

-- Instantiate the Unit Under Test (UUT)
	uut: example1 PORT MAP(                    -- ALL OF THIS???
		R => R,
		S => S,
		Q => Q,
		Qbar => Qbar
	);

S <= '1' after 20 ns, '0' after 25 ns, '1' after 60 ns, '0' after 65 ns;
	R <= '1' after 40 ns, '0' after 45 ns, '1' after 60 ns, '0' after 65 ns;
END;

[Edited by - musafir2007 on October 29, 2007 3:27:08 AM]

Advertisement
I'm not sure I remember this correct, but I give it a shot.

ENTITY declares the input and output ports for the component being declared. In this case, TestExample1_vhd does not have any input or output signals.

PORT MAP is used to create components and connect signals to its inputs and outputs. You create a component called uut of type example1, and connect the signal R to uut.R, S to uut.S, and so on. That is, R and S are connected to uut's input, and Q and Qbar are conneted to uut's outputs.

Every component have input and/or output signals, and ENTITY and PORT MAP is all about declaring what input and output signals a particular component have, and how signals are connected with the components.

Your test example doesn't have any input or output signals, but the example1 component does. The port map command explains how the internal signals are connected to the uut object.

This is all very fundamental parts of VHDL, and if you're struggling with this, I suggest you talk to the teacher about it instead of over a forum, becuase VHDL is a lot about component port mapping. Online forums is great for small and quick details, but not for major concepts.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!