• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MickeMan

OpenGL Graphics Engine UML

This topic is 4005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on my graphics engine in OpenGL and its comming along nicely, much is thanks to all of your help here on GameDev forums and the great tutorials created by NeHe. I'm working with C++ so I'm breaking down all this information I have gathered and code I've tested and customizing it to my own object oriented graphics engine. I would appreciate your feedback on this since there seems to be a lack of "beginner stage" architactual design of a graphics engine out there. Maybe this will be a new resource for others to learn from as well. I'm using UML to represent my classes but I am leaving out quite a few things because this is more on a design level. Here is pretty much the stuff I done in code: Main is our main entry point in the application. WindowHandler sets up our window, the size and also Microsoft Windows related stuff that needs to be taken care of, like WNDCLASSEX and HINSTANCE and so on. GraphicHandler is basically our renderer, it defines materials, lights and so forth. GraphicalObjectVector is a container with all of our Meshes that will be rendered. Model has a mesh, material,(bones,) uvcoords and a texture CompoundModel can have many Models, example: a house and a door(that can be opened and closed) Texture is a simple class that just holds a pixel pointer to our texture. ModelLoader parses the .ASE file that has information about our models I hope I'm being clear on how things work but just ask if I need to be more specific. So what I'm wondering is basically: Is this a good approach? How can/should I expand this when more complicated rendering methods needs implementation? And the final question: Is this a good model or should it be completely remodelled? Thank you.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!