• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

(Solved) MDX - 2D sprite flip /mirror operations

This topic is 3765 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum for my question. I'm trying to learn about making 2D sprite based games using Managed DirectX and C#. But I'm having trouble doing sprite flips and mirrors. (ie Making a sprite that's drawn facing right face left instead or upside down.) I first thought that the way to do this would be to multiply the scaling by -1 (I'll be scaling my sprites anyway). When I test this, the sprite is not drawn (my test code has a clear screen). However, when I scale the sprite by positive numbers it appears drawn and stretched correctly. Can someone please suggest a way of doing this with MDX, and better yet help me understand why my method doesn't work. Here's the relevant part of my sample code.
public Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device device;
public Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Sprite sprite;
public Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Texture texture;

public bool InitializeGraphics()
{
	PresentParameters presentParams = new PresentParameters();
	presentParams.Windowed = true;
	presentParams.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard;

device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, this, CreateFlags.HardwareVertexProcessing, presentParams);

string fname = "redarrow.bmp";
	texture = TextureLoader.FromFile(device, fname, 0, 0, 1, Usage.None, Format.Unknown, Pool.Managed, Filter.None, Filter.None, Color.FromArgb(0, 255, 0).ToArgb());
	sprite = new Sprite(device);
}

public void Render()
{
	if (device != null)
	{
		device.Clear(ClearFlags.Target, Color.Blue, 1.0f, 0);
		device.BeginScene();

sprite.Begin(SpriteFlags.AlphaBlend);

Matrix m = Matrix.Identity;
		m.Scale(-1, 2, 1);
		// AS AN ALTERNATIVE I TRIED A 180DEG ROTATION ON THE Z-AXIS - THIS PRODUCED A BLANK SCREEN TOO
		// m.RotateZ((float) Math.PI);
		sprite.Transform = m;
		sprite.Draw(texture, new Vector3(0, 0, 0), new Vector3(30, 30, 0), Color.White.ToArgb());

sprite.End();
		device.EndScene();
		device.Present();
	}
}

[Edited by - Sabeltann on October 30, 2007 2:51:36 AM]

Advertisement
Try changing:

sprite.Draw(texture, new Vector3(0, 0, 0), new Vector3(30, 30, 0), Color.White.ToArgb());

to:

sprite.Draw(texture, new Vector3(0, 0, 0), new Vector3(-30, 15, 0), Color.White.ToArgb());

Since your transform is setting x in the negative direction and doubling y, you need to specify a negative x and halve the y.

That solved it! I wondered if it required a translation, but I only thought of increasing the x component, not making it negative.

Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement