What IDE to get (mainly VS2005 std or pro)

Started by
11 comments, last by nobodynews 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello coders of the dark arts. I have used Vs6 and now VS2003 and i'm now thinking about updating myself the 2005 but i'm not sure if i should get the standard of pro edition. What is best fit for game development. Are there any code optimization things you must have as a game developer. I hope you that already use one of those can provide me with some guidelines :).

@spinningcubes | Blog: Spinningcubes.com | Gamedev notes: GameDev Pensieve | Spinningcubes on Youtube

Advertisement
The Express Edition is free, what's wrong with that? It has pretty much everything you really need, in practice.
Express edition has more than enough than is needed for game development, Std includes the resource editor for C++ applications which is an improvement if you're doing WinApi, and pro and up have all of the database manipulation bells and whistles which you wont need to program games.

If I am not mistaken, they all include the exact same (optimizing) compiler.

The difference between Standard and Professional is miniscule. Certainly if your company isn't paying for it there's no reason to go for the higher price-tag.
Thanks for the answers. I did try to use the express edition once but it would not work well for me then, it might be better now, was a while ago.

Anyway, as i have the money now i thought it might be time to invest in a full version. Looks like a good idea to go for standard then. But please keep the comments coming, the more feedback the better :).

@spinningcubes | Blog: Spinningcubes.com | Gamedev notes: GameDev Pensieve | Spinningcubes on Youtube

I also would like to use some custom made plugins and i dont think that is possible in the express version.

The Express edition cannot run add-ins so you'll need to buy a different version if you need them. I'd recommend standard, as it's the next step up and so will save you the most money.
Ok, so standard looks like the way, time to check around on some price sites then :).

Hmm, anyone know anything about how 2008 is (for gamedev, c++) and when it will be released?

VS2008 will be released soon (I don't know if I can be more accurate). The C++ side has much faster compiling, improved intellisense and more convenient reference searching capability. There is a very high degree of compatibility between VS05 and VS08 compilers and libraries, so you can use existing assets efficiently.

The vast majority of the improvements, though, are on the .net side. The new language features of .net 3.5, such as Linq, are very cool and really do save coding time in application development. Database development is greatly improved. The compilers and tools also have backward compatibility to .net 2.0 and 3.0 so you don't lose any capabilities you had in VS2005.

I recommend you wait for a little while and purchase 2008 when it's out.

Niko Suni

Actually, if you're considering buying, the beta for 2008 is out right now. It's a huge download, but being able to see the features for yourself might help you decide which version to get, if any.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement