What makes a good dating sims

Started by
20 comments, last by Tanweer 16 years, 5 months ago
So call this a poll or what ever but what do you all think makes a good dating sim? Minni games? Odd over all theme? (like sci-fi stuff) In depth stories of your potential dates. I mean aside form the obvious like the need for nice art, well designed characters and background music that wont drive you insane, what makes a 5 star dating sim?
Advertisement
If you make it too interesting, then it won't be a dating sim. IE, The Sims.

What is the end goal of the game?
The same as most dating sims, hook up with one of the 6-8 people you can interact with in the game
I've not playied many "dateing sims". Most of them seem targeted at pre-teens with very idealistic and nieve understanding of dateing. They are certainly not something I'd consider a SIMulation of a real world dateing experience.

Anyway. A lot of human communication is through body language and vocal inflection. There are millions of ways to say the word "Hello" giveing it different contexual meaning. Just as your body language/posture can change the meaning of the words you say. Just make sure your artist and voice actors do it right.

And make sure your writers are capable of giveing the characters REAL personnality...An average(or even below) looking person with a friendly confident flirty outgoing personnality always gets more dates then the hottie with the personality of a brick...That is true for both guys and girls.

Quote:Original post by Jacent
The same as most dating sims, hook up with one of the 6-8 people you can interact with in the game

Hook up as in score, or hook up as in love? Because if you're dating, you've essentially already hooked up.
Maybe it's just a flirting sim? Toss in some personality and temprament theory for starters.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

You may want to look at some japanese games. Apparently they hold sway on the dating sim market. Only problem is you need an english version or need to be able to understand japanese.
Quote:Original post by MSW
An average(or even below) looking person with a friendly confident flirty outgoing personnality always gets more dates then the hottie with the personality of a brick...That is true for both guys and girls.

Reality must have missed this fact.
Quote:Original post by c-Row
An average(or even below) looking person with a friendly confident flirty outgoing personnality always gets more dates then the hottie with the personality of a brick...That is true for both guys and girls.

Actually, it's generally true. I've seen below average looking males with nothing but a superior ego lead extremely hot females around by a leash. It's like a jedi mind trick. If you truly believe you look really good, fully enough, other people start assuming their own impression was wrong.
Quote:Original post by Kest
Quote:Original post by c-Row

Actually, it's generally true. I've seen below average looking males with nothing but a superior ego lead extremely hot females around by a leash. It's like a jedi mind trick. If you truly believe you look really good, fully enough, other people start assuming their own impression was wrong.

But if it's true, then shouldn't those men instead be dating average or below looking girls with a friendly confident flirty outgoing personality? Paradox!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement