[web] Improving the website

Started by
7 comments, last by Crypter 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone, As you may know, I had a thread awhile back about designing a website. I redesigned the website keeping the original look and feel. It looked great, but, in my opinion, it does not seem to look very "professional". That is, it seems like it looks a bit dark, and boring. So, I am seeing if I can add to the website, and redesign its look and feel. I created a new logo, and heavily modified the colors and style, and am looking for opinions on how to proceed next. This is the current version of the site (The older, darker version). This is the current redesigned website, with a new look What version do you prefer? Are there anything you like and/or dont like between the two versions? Please note the second version is currently a test. Most links will not work in that version. --- Any and all suggestions, ideas, critique, comments are welcome. Thanks -- I hope this will be the last time I modify the site for awhile [wink]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Crypter
What version do you prefer? Are there anything you like and/or dont like between the two versions?

Please note the second version is currently a test. Most links will not work in that version.

Not that there's that much difference besides some colors, but I would prefer the old one. It don't think it's really that dark, and its color looks more consistent. I do think some small changes in the layout could make quite a difference though. See image for comments.
check out open designs
as for your current website, the color scheme looks like it was in a menu under "drab". Layout looks decent though.
I prefer the old version over the new version as well. And I echo all of WanMaster's comments in the image he created.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Thanks for the feedback!

I took WanMaster's suggestions and modified the site a bit. It certainly looks cleaner with all of the bold text out, and padding.

Please let me know what you think of it, if there are anything you don't like or would change.

Website

Thanks[smile]
Good job, looks much better!
From now on any suggestion can be regarded as nit-picking: [smile]

- The default link color could be changed to something nicer. Is suppose using black with underlining would suffice, but you'll have to experiment a little.
- Removing the table borders in the books section will make it look nicer, and slightly increasing the padding here as well will probably benefit the look. I think the table headers (book, description, buy-it-now) are redundant. I do like the general layout though: book cover on the left, the text right next to it. Perhaps you could move the "buy it now" link to the bottom of the description cell in a uniform way, so it doesn't float around mid cell.
- Same thing with the projects page, but it seems to be under construction anyway. Bringing the description and link together in one cell or logical unit makes it clearer what belongs to what. See OS development series for example.
- Obviously, it would be nice if the design of the forums could be integrated into the overall look and feel, but I realize that's going to take a lot of work.
- Add some spacing between the different element in the the footer (copyright notices, mail address, contact and privacy policy links). Perhaps even a smaller font size for the non-linked items to separate them from the 'main' contents of the site.
- It's probably there for debugging, but there's a [test] text left in the 'ad_main' div.

But again, good work!
Quote:
- It's probably there for debugging, but there's a [test] text left in the 'ad_main' div.

hehe.. I just put that there cause I seem to be having alot of trouble integrating another dv inside of the header. I might need to use a table here, as I cannot seem to create two divs side by side.

Its not there right now.

Thanks for all of your suggestions ;) Ill see if I can work on them.
Quote:I might need to use a table here, as I cannot seem to create two divs side by side.

Have a look at the CSS float property.

Quote:Obviously, it would be nice if the design of the forums could be integrated into the overall look and feel, but I realize that's going to take a lot of work.

Or reverse it. I tried using the background image from the forum menu bar on the main site menu bar (using CSS bug) and that didn't look bad at all.

One design nit: I don't like the vague ghosted bar in the header.

One technical nit: Why do you use background-images on your site? It's all flat color. Use the background-color property instead and set a flat color.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This is a little update to let everyone know whats going on...

I'm still working on implementing your suggestions.

I kind of ran into an interesting problem though. The ads on the site display perfectly using Firefox, but Internet Explorer seems to cut off a little of the top of the ads' image.

I don't know how it displays in other browsers yet, though.

I removed the table border and header from the Books section. It looks much better now ;)

Right now, all of the links are blue, and not bold.

Now, I'm hoping of fixing the problem with IE and implementing the other suggestions.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement