• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Giedrius

Is turbo pascal being used for programming games and other not game related programs?

This topic is 3913 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The pascal language is the standard programming language here in Lithuania. I know that there are games written in Delphi, which is kind of simillar to pascal. However I don't see any potential in this language to be used in the computer industry. Can anyone say what is the situation with pascal language in the industry? I'm programming in C/C++ and I don't see any reason why would pascal be the standard language...

Advertisement
You are right.
Pascal and Delphi are not used widely in the industry.

It is very sad that so much time is wasted with languages like these because some people don't realize the practical reality.

Quote:
I'm programming in C/C++ and I don't see any reason why would pascal be the standard language...
Then, i don't understand what your problem exactly is. It's an old discussion.. pick the language that suits you best. If you want to be an industry programmer, you might want to stick with your current. If you want to make Flash games for internet, pick that one. Good luck..

Languages are tools. What gets used depends on a very large number of factors (most of them are non-technical).

The sum of these factors makes C++ currently optimal choice for AAA game development.

Quote:
However I don't see any potential in this language to be used in the computer industry.
Quote:
I'm programming in C/C++ and I don't see any reason why would pascal be the standard language...

Computer industry in general has little to do with software languages. In software development however, C++ has around 15% share currently, and it's slowly decreasing (don't have the link handy). It was completely overtaken by .Net (all languages) and Java (J2EE).

In 5 years, things will be different again, just like they were 5 years ago.

Don't learn languages.... Learn to develop software.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
C++ has around 15% share currently, and it's slowly decreasing (don't have the link handy). It was completely overtaken by .Net (all languages) and Java (J2EE).

I don't think those numbers apply to game development though.

Pascal and Delphi are different things, and there also other dialects. I think no one uses the classic Pascal anymore, as it doesn't support OO.
Quote:
Original post by AntheusDon't learn languages.... Learn to develop software.
Amen to that!

Quote:
Original post by Giedrius

I think it has developed a reputation as a learning language. Apple was pushing it 'back in the day'.

I was going to take a programming class in high school, and it was taught using pascal; unfortunately I moved before taking the class.

Maybe, as stated above, it's a bridge between basic and other high level languages.

Quote:
Original post by Marmin
Pascal and Delphi are different things, and there also other dialects. I think no one uses the classic Pascal anymore, as it doesn't support OO.

And some early versions of Turbo Pascal were limited to 64k programs (under MS-DOS), if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Original post by Marmin

I didn't say that they are the same thing. And there is a version of pascal, called Object Pascal, which supports OO. And there are newer compilers, which support windows and don't have the 64KB memory limit.

However I don't see why it is such a good language for learning. Most people who know pascal and C/C++ say that C/C++ has a more clear syntax. Is it really all that helpful to have more english keywords? And the operators in C/C++ are a bit more natural, unlike := in pascal. Also the semicolon usage is a lot more clear in C/C++. Many beginners I've seen make a lot of semicolon mistakes in pascal, like putting a semicolon before an else statement. Furthermore when programming in C/C++, the programmer gets to know more about how a computer operates. There may be some reason to use pascal language for an introductory course in high schools, but it shouldn't be the language of choice in computer science and IT universities...

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Don't learn languages.... Learn to develop software

I totally agree with you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!