don't understand sql server

Started by
5 comments, last by Kylotan 16 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm used to using Access .mdb files for my databases. Now I need something more powerful, so I want to use SQL Server Express. However, I cant understand how this works. My application (in c#) is to be run only locally on the client, and the database is to be on the clients computer. With Access database that would mean the .mdb file would be on the client computer. How does it work with sql server? I need to setup a server on the client?? can't I just use the .mdf file as used the .mdb?? I really have no idea... Thanks
"Through me the road to the city of desolation,Through me the road to sorrows diuturnal,Through me the road among the lost creation."
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by FreJa
Hi,
My application (in c#) is to be run only locally on the client, and the database is to be on the clients computer.
Thanks

How many people are going to access the database ? One ? or Many ?
I think if it's one, better use SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (normally it's for PPC, I heard the new one can be used for PC as well). If many, use SQL Server 2005 Express Edition instead. Or you can choose FireBird Embeded as well.

Quote:Original post by FreJa
How does it work with sql server? I need to setup a server on the client?? can't I just use the .mdf file as used the .mdb??
I really have no idea...

Thanks

You need to install the SQL server as services on your PC. *mdf is different with *.mdb. You can not use like MS Access, at least for SQL Server 2005.
SQL server is a fully-fledged database server, designed to be run on a dedicated server PC.

If you want something to sit on the client for use only by that client, I'd go with something more compact, like Berkeley DB.
Yes, the database is to be used by only one person, and it would greatly simplify things if it could be something like .mdb, that sits on the client.
How does Berkeley DB compare to Access mdb? Do you know if there are libraries for c#?

Thanks again
"Through me the road to the city of desolation,Through me the road to sorrows diuturnal,Through me the road among the lost creation."
You might want to consider SQLite, if you're familiar with SQL. This stores your database as a local file, in a similar way to Access. A Google search for 'c# sqlite' gives plenty of useful links. The question is, what sort of "power" are you hoping for that Access doesn't give you?
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
You might want to consider SQLite, if you're familiar with SQL. This stores your database as a local file, in a similar way to Access. A Google search for 'c# sqlite' gives plenty of useful links. The question is, what sort of "power" are you hoping for that Access doesn't give you?

What mainly concerns me is the 1 Gb limit of Access databases.

In that case, I don't think SQLite is what you're after, unfortunately.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement