Beginning tool development

Started by
3 comments, last by Sijmen 16 years, 5 months ago
Hi there I would like to get started in tools development, the problem is I have no idea where to start. I looked at this book called Game Engine Toolset Development but I'm not sure if it is the best place to help you build a tool from scratch. Any other suggestions? My goal would be to build a tool where you could visualize different water simulations with different LODs, etc. Thanks :)
Advertisement
The first step is to find out where you need a tool for, you've already done that ;)

I don't think I understand your question fully. You know what you need, right? So.. build it..!
Quote:Original post by rik_GT
Hi there

I would like to get started in tools development, the problem is I have no idea where to start.
I looked at this book called Game Engine Toolset Development but I'm not sure if it is the best place to help you build a tool from scratch. Any other suggestions?

My goal would be to build a tool where you could visualize different water simulations with different LODs, etc.

That's not really a tool, that's more like a simulation.

What you need to do, is find a job/task that needs to be done. A tool is a program that will help you do it quicker. Just say you have a small game and it reads small scripts that describe different events. A good tool to have would be one which allows you to write these scripts (most likely in a format easier than the actual script syntax) and then save them in a format so they can be read by the game.

So to create a tool, you need to have a job that needs to be done better than it currently is.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Quote:Original post by Endar
Quote:Original post by rik_GT
Hi there

I would like to get started in tools development, the problem is I have no idea where to start.
I looked at this book called Game Engine Toolset Development but I'm not sure if it is the best place to help you build a tool from scratch. Any other suggestions?

My goal would be to build a tool where you could visualize different water simulations with different LODs, etc.

That's not really a tool, that's more like a simulation.

What you need to do, is find a job/task that needs to be done. A tool is a program that will help you do it quicker. Just say you have a small game and it reads small scripts that describe different events. A good tool to have would be one which allows you to write these scripts (most likely in a format easier than the actual script syntax) and then save them in a format so they can be read by the game.

So to create a tool, you need to have a job that needs to be done better than it currently is.

I see. Thanks :)

But do you know any sources where I can read more about this subject, apart from the book mentioned above?

Tools development seems to be one of the least explored areas in game dev literature.

As far as I can tell, tool development is pretty much like application development plus some game stuff. One thing that's pretty important is the game architecture has the right infrastructure for tools (which could be the case).

For the actual reflections etc, that's party of the game engine. It sounds to me as if you want to make a game engine with a toolset, not just a toolset.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement