Sign in to follow this  

Group project with Visual C# express - version control

This topic is 3730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am working on a project with a group - none of us have used a version control system before (this is really one of our first experiences with group work) and will be using Microsoft's C# Express compiler. Does anyone have suggestions for a version control system that would integrate well with Visual Studio Express? Thanks in advance. [Edited by - BTownTKD on April 23, 2009 9:34:09 AM]

The express editions don't support addins. I'm not aware of any source control software that will integrate with the express edition.

Fair enough - does anyone have a suggestion for a standalone version control program? Working in Windows I suppose would be the only other requirement.

[Edited by - BTownTKD on April 23, 2009 9:21:22 AM]

Yah, if you will have multiple people working on the same code, you will want a versioning control system...I have been using Subversion some recently and it is great for keeping organized.

If you have a server of your own, install SVN on that. Alternatively, some web hosts such as DreamHost provide SVN hosting.

If you get a central SVN going, each developer should install and use TortoiseSVN to send changes back to SVN. It integrates into Windows Explorer, so you can right-click a file and get a TSVN menu for various tasks.

Even though I use Visual Studio 2005 Professional, and can therefore use source control addins, I still prefer the Explorer interface of TortoiseSVN due to also storing non-source files in my repository.

Quote:
Original post by BTownTKD
Hello,

I am working on a project with a group - none of us have used a version control system before (this is really one of our first experiences with group work) and will be using Microsoft's C# Express compiler. Does anyone have suggestions for a version control system that would integrate well with Visual Studio Express?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to integrate well with Visual Studio, of course the first choice is Visual SourceSafe. But I don't think you will use it, since you already use C# Express compiler, haha.

You might also want to try SharpDevelop it includes Subversion, NUnit, and NCover integration (in editor source code highlights of code coverage of units tests == awesomeness). Debugger is a bit flaky/slow, and you can't easily change editor fonts for some reason, but otherwise its a cool little IDE.

I really do not understand why Microsoft decided that giving away an IDE for learning purposes without source control or unit testing built in was a good idea in this day and age.

This topic is 3730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.