• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Specification of .X file !

This topic is 3829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Do you think that I m losing my time loading a .X file with OpenGL ?

I dont know if the format of file has changed in long of time and I dont know if it will change in near future !

Anybody may explain this ?

Tks

IMHO people put far too much weight in the .X file format.

From a technical stand point it's great - the templates and so on make it a truly flexible format, but that doesn't mean much if no content packages support it properly. A common question and problem is how artists get stuff from Blender/3DSMax/Maya to .X.

Sticking to a specific file format because there are nice D3DX functions for it is really not valid justification beyond simple samples and tutorials.

You really need to understand who is producing content for your pipeline and HOW. That is all that matters - you ultimately have to decide whether you will be dictated to or whether you will dicate to. Subtle difference, but does the technology drive the content or does the content drive the technology???

With a good software architecture the input data format is irrelevant.

hth
Jack

Oh, and a final comment... The .x format seems to be like an unloved relative within Microsoft, so don't expect it to feature highly in their future plans. Most of their high-end customers have their own content pipelines and formats so they don't need MS to dicatate yet another 'standard' upon them.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement