• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] (C#) altering/accessing controls in Window forms from other forms/classes

This topic is 3765 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I'm writing a basic game in C# as an bonus task in a course I'm attending in but since I'm totally new in C# Windows (Forms) programming I've run into a irritating problem. Application consists of a "game" class and Program.cs The game class contains (of course >_<) needed Game data and Program.cs the applikation with all buttons etc but I dont know how to access the controls in the main form from the game class. lets say I have a label named lblTheWord in frmMainForm (the main window) and I want to modify it from the game class in a function call GenerateNewWord() .. how do I do it? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Just pass in a reference to the form to the Game class..

class Game
{
MainForm mainForm = null;

public Game(MainForm form)
{
mainForm = form;
}

public DoSomething()
{
mainForm.lblTheWord.Text = "Test";
}
}

Or not so nice is to make a class with a static reference to the form.

class Global
{
public static MainForm MainForm = null;
}

Then when you instanciate the form in Program.cs you get a reference to the form.

static class Program
{
[STAThread]
static void Main(string[] args)
{
Application.EnableVisualStyles();
Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);

using (Global.MainForm = new MainForm())
Application.Run(Global.MainForm);
}
}

Then from everywhere you game use Global.MainForm.lblTheWord.Text = "Test";

People would say the first method is the best since it follows the rule of encapsulation for OOP. But personally I often use the second method.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement