• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mr-e

analysing intersecting rectangles

This topic is 3861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm looking for a way to determine the intersections between 2 rectangles of different sizes. The result of this function should be 3 collections of rectangles (in case of intersection of course) : - collection A : contains the rectangle shared by both original rectangles - collection B : a collection of rectangles describing all of the first rectangle that's not part of the intersection (using the least possible nr of rectangles) - collection C : a collection of rectangles describing all of the second rectangle that's not part of the intersection (using the least possible nr of rectangles) ex: http://iljanated.googlepages.com/intersection.JPG I think I can figure this out myself , but I suppose somebody must have already cracked his head over this one in the last 50 years of programming and come up with something faster/better looking than my attempts so far ... PS rectangles are defined by 2 ints (LEFT,TOP) and 2 ints (WIDTH,HEIGHT) or (RIGHT,BOTTOM)

Advertisement
Here's what I would do.

First I'm going to assume that you have a SDL-like rectangle class. For the way that I'm doing this, it will be easier to use the top-left/lower-right corners.
(I'm writing this in C++; it should be pretty comprehensible.)

//Example of rectangle structure/class
struct RECT{
int x1,y1; //Coordinates of top-left corner
int x2,y2; //Coordinates of bottom-right corner
}

Assume that you have two rectangles:
RECT a,b;

First thing that you want to do is see which corners of rectangle b is within rectangle a.

//Is the top-left of b in a. Return true/false
bool tl = a.x1<b.x1 && b.x1<a.x2 && a.y1<b.y1 && b.y1<b.y2;

The rest follow this pattern. Change only the b. variables for each corner:

bool tr = a.x1<b.x2 && b.x2<a.x2 && a.y1<b.y1 && b.y1<b.y2;
bool bl = a.x1<b.x1 && b.x1<a.x2 && a.y1<b.y2 && b.y2<b.y2;
bool br = a.x1<b.x2 && b.x2<a.x2 && a.y1<b.y2 && b.y2<b.y2;

From here just check each case.
The rest of the code you should be able to figure out.

Hope it helps,
T.J. Gaffney
http://bringbackthelulz.com/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!