• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Beginner Mac Question

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been programming for many years, mostly in Java and C++, in fact I study CS at the University of Colorado. I've recently really have become interested in gamedev, but I'm not sure where to start. Unfortunately, most of the tutorials I've found are all windows based. What free frameworks are available for mac game dev? I figure I'll write my own one day, but would like to start from a high level perspective. Where can I find source code for some simple games like tetris for Mac? Are there any good books on Mac gamedev? I've heard about Mac Game Programming or something like it, but it has gotten fairly poor reviews. Thanks James

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Hammonjj
I've been programming for many years, mostly in Java and C++, in fact I study CS at the University of Colorado. I've recently really have become interested in gamedev, but I'm not sure where to start. Unfortunately, most of the tutorials I've found are all windows based.

What free frameworks are available for mac game dev? I figure I'll write my own one day, but would like to start from a high level perspective.
SDL and OpenGL and the like should work fine on Mac OS X.

Quote:
Where can I find source code for some simple games like tetris for Mac?
The games themselves shouldn't be platform-dependent, and learning from source code is a very bad method. The Python and Pygame resources that the other new users are getting pointed to should work fine on Mac OS X.

Quote:
Are there any good books on Mac gamedev? I've heard about Mac Game Programming or something like it, but it has gotten fairly poor reviews.
To be honest, I'm not aware of any decent books. The guys at iDevGames might have a better idea of what books to pick up, but I think it's relatively slim pickings.

if you're looking for a C++ based framework then you might try out sfml which supports Windows, Linux and Mac (OSX) as well.

The games you write shouldn't be platform dependent if you're going through a high level library that gives you access to the features you want to use. That's one of the advantages of the high level libraries :grin:

Andy

Edit: As for good tutorials, the NEHE tuts are very, very helpful. The later ones that have platform-specific stuff all have GLUT translations (check the links at the bottom of the tutorial), which should compile no problem on the Mac.

I second the SDL + OpenGL suggestion. My current game/project has been, until this morning, developed exclusively on Windows XP. But I chose to use OGL and SDL knowing I would want the end result to be cross-platform. About an hour ago I was able to create a new XCode project, add all of my source files to it, press compile, and have it run on my OS 10.5 machine exactly like it does on my Windows XP box. Pretty cool, IMO.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement