• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrD 588

OpenGL GLFW & Dev-Cpp (Also a Visual Studio issue)

This topic is 3865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm trying to get GLFW working with Dev-Cpp because I would like to use it for a project I am working on. I had originally got it setup with Visual Studio 2005 and it was compiling fine, the problem was that when I sent the .exe file to my friend to test it, it generated an error (This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrectly) on launch. Even downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package failed to fix the problem so instead I set about trying to get Dev-Cpp set up with GLFW and this is where I have ran into difficulties. I am getting errors when trying to compile my code:
Quote:
/mingw/lib/crt2.o(.text+0x167):crt1.c: undefined reference to `__cpu_features_init' main.o(.text+0x32):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwInit' main.o(.text+0x7e):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwOpenWindow' main.o(.text+0x87):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwTerminate' main.o(.text+0x9c):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwSetWindowTitle' main.o(.text+0xac):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwSwapBuffers' main.o(.text+0xb8):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwGetKey' main.o(.text+0xc8):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwGetWindowParam' main.o(.text+0xda):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwTerminate' main.o(.text+0xff):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwGetTime' main.o(.text+0x114):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glfwGetWindowSize' main.o(.text+0x143):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glViewport@16' main.o(.text+0x16e):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glClearColor@16' main.o(.text+0x17d):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glClear@4' main.o(.text+0x18c):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glMatrixMode@4' main.o(.text+0x194):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glLoadIdentity@0' main.o(.text+0x1be):main.cpp: undefined reference to `gluPerspective@32' main.o(.text+0x1cd):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glMatrixMode@4' main.o(.text+0x1d5):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glLoadIdentity@0' main.o(.text+0x213):main.cpp: undefined reference to `gluLookAt@72' main.o(.text+0x24a):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glRotatef@16' main.o(.text+0x259):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glBegin@4' main.o(.text+0x27b):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glColor3f@12' main.o(.text+0x29d):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glVertex3f@12' main.o(.text+0x2bf):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glColor3f@12' main.o(.text+0x2e1):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glVertex3f@12' main.o(.text+0x303):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glColor3f@12' main.o(.text+0x325):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glVertex3f@12' main.o(.text+0x32d):main.cpp: undefined reference to `glEnd@0'
I have added the following files (the same files I added is Visual Studio) to the linker section on the Dev-Cpp project options section: - GLFW.lib - OpenGL32.lib - GLU32.lib - User32.lib I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix either: - The errors in Dev-Cpp, or - Preferably, make it so I can compile my code using Visual Studio without getting that error when someone without Visual Studio tries to run the application. (This is the full version of Visual Studio 2005, NOT the Express Edition). [Edited by - MrDoom on November 1, 2007 3:07:04 PM]

Advertisement
Dev-C++ uses mingw to compile on Windows. Unless something has changed recently, mingw cannot consume .lib libraries. It needs .a libraries which are often distributed as "devpaks" which can be found online.

What was the actual problem you were having with VS? Was there a specific error message? Generally installing the redistributable package fixes those. Dev-C++ is sub-par and really shouldn't be used, especially when you have a paid version of VS available.

There was no error on any of my PCs because they all have Visual Studio installed.

I got my friend to test out the .exe (built using both "Debug" and "Release" mode) and on both occasions, it gave this error:

I even got them to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package but still nothing changed (I don't know if you have to reboot your computer after installing that for it to take effect).

I dug out one of my XP machines that doesn't have visual studio installed and checked it on that.

Same error as above, even with the Visual C++ Redist and a reboot afterwards.

I also checked with some other work I had been doing in Visual Studio and in all cases the .exe would fail to run with the same message.

Seems it's something crappy about Visual Studio then. Anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT
Looking in the system log, it has this additional information:
"Dependant Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT could not be found and the last error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

Quote:
Original post by MrDoom
Hey, I'm trying to get GLFW working with Dev-Cpp because I would like to use it for a project I am working on.

First, you will need to download and install the GLFW DevPak for Dev-Cpp. To download, you can get it from the devpak repository. Once you have it downloaded, open up Dev-Cpp. Click on the Tools menu item and then the Package Manager item. In the new window that opens, the Package Manager, click on the Install button in the main toolbar. Select the GLFW devpak you just downloaded and click though the installation process. The devpak is now installed.

Now that GLFW is installed for DevCpp, you need to setup your project to use it. Create a console project to start out your development project. Paste in the following:

#include <cstdlib>
#include <gl/glfw.h>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
if(glfwInit() != GL_TRUE)
{
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}

glfwTerminate();

system("PAUSE");
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

If you try and compile, you will see the following errors:

[Linker error] undefined reference to `glfwInit'
[Linker error] undefined reference to `glfwTerminate'
ld returned 1 exit status
D:\Dev-Cpp\projects\glfw2\Makefile.win [Build Error] [GLFW.exe] Error 1

This is because you have not yet linked in the library files for GLFW (and subsequently OpenGL). Visual Studio uses .lib files. DevCpp uses .a files since it uses a port of the GCC compiler. Note that they are prefixed with the string "lib", so on Windows, GLFW would be "glfw.lib". On DevCpp, it would use "libglfw.a". Keep this naming convention in mind.

To link in the correct libraries, first click on Project and go to Project Options. Click on the Parameters tab. On the 3rd box, Linker, you will need to add in the libraries for your project. The two you need are:
libglfw.a
libopengl32.a

Click on the Add Library or Object button and naviagate to your Dev-Cpp Lib folder. Select the two libraries. Mine ended up looking like:

../../lib/libglfw.a
../../lib/libopengl32.a

Once that is done, close the open windows and recompile. Your program should compile and run correctly. If it does not you need to copy your "glfw.dll" file into your project folder or into your Windows system directory.

Thanks, I'm still getting a linker error though.

Quote:
[Linker error] undefined reference to `__cpu_features_init'

Googling __cpu_features_init seems to return some promising links. Have you tried any of those? It seems a common way to fix this is either to reinstall Dev-Cpp, or uninstalling another MinGW installation.

/me slaps himself.

Man, I feel so stupid not trying Google *hangs head in shame*

Removing my second install of MinGW fixed that last problem up nicely and it's now compiling fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped. Of course, if anyone knows how to get Visual Studio to behave I'd be happy to hear it since that error also appears with some of my other projects as well.

I had the same problem with visual studio. In the end the problem was that the manifest included a reference to the DEBUG CRT DLLS as well as the release DLLs. To I just deleted the reference to the debug dll from the manifest, deployed that alongside the exe, and ran the vc_redist installer on the target computer, and it worked.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!