• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dzCepheus

Pathing with Quadtrees

This topic is 4064 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can you use Quadtrees with a pathing algorithm, such as A*? I know that I need to flatten the quadtree into a list of nodes with connectivity data, but so far I'm uncertain as to how to do that, and all my attempts over the past 3 days have failed. Google has also failed me, turning up mostly patent applications..... So - can anyone point me in the right direction of how to flatten the quadtree? Thanks muchly. =)

Advertisement
A quadtree is a space partitioning data structure. It's a tree, not a graph. What exactly are you trying to achieve, and why do you think you need a quadtree for it?

Perhaps you're looking for pathfinding with different levels of detail (LOD): rough pathfinding for long paths, finer pathfinding on shorter distances?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!