Crystal Space 3D

Started by
9 comments, last by bcosta 16 years, 5 months ago
They've brought out a new updated edition since the last thread on this, and I was wondering if anyone here uses/used this engine, and what they think of it. I'm considering pulling it apart for an RTS. M.
<work in progress>
Advertisement
I've enjoyed Crystal Space. IT is an amazing Renderer. (With Crystal Core it becomes a game enige). The only thing I have mixed feelings about is learning it. How to set it up, use it properly, etc. However, it is very promising.
Holy crap, you can read!
Hm, I thought it was a single package deal. What does Crystal Core give you (Their forums aren't exactly active)? I compiled their demo for movement successfully so I'm assuming I have all of the 3rd party libraries installed correctly, in case CC uses them too.

M.
<work in progress>
Crystal core handles 'Behaviors' and other things such as a 'Quest Manager' and easily changing camera view form 3rd person to 1st and etc. It just has some really handy stuff for making games.

Also, the forum is not dead, just not booming like it is here. You will get responses from questions and what-not.
Holy crap, you can read!
Moving to Alternative Game Libraries.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Moving to Alternative Game Libraries.

Good call. Forgot we had it until after I posted.

[quote-"PNC"]Crystal core handles 'Behaviors' and other things such as a 'Quest Manager' and easily changing camera view form 3rd person to 1st and etc. It just has some really handy stuff for making games.

Also, the forum is not dead, just not booming like it is here. You will get responses from questions and what-not.

Good to know. I'll check the site in a bit and read further into it. I figure it shouldn't be "too" hard to make an RTS (difficult, yes.); camera move to be "overhead" is the first thing I'll likely mess with, and I'm assuming CS3D has HUD controls I could use to make the interface.

M.
<work in progress>
""Crystal core handles 'Behaviors' and other things such as a 'Quest Manager' and easily changing camera view form 3rd person to 1st and etc.""

The project that does that is called Crystal Entity Layer, CEL. Crystal Core is seperate, it's a game using that engine.

Crystal Space is a pretty complete package by it's self, graphics, sound, multiple formats, physics and such are built in.
Oh crap! I meant CEL, not Crystal Core. My bad! I think I was rushing that day I was responding.
Holy crap, you can read!
Quote:Original post by PCN
Oh crap! I meant CEL, not Crystal Core. My bad! I think I was rushing that day I was responding.

Yeah I asked at the forums and they said to use CEL.

I am wondering, since you have some experience, if you would be free to join a project in the near future?

M.
<work in progress>
This thread has not had any activity for a while, but I looked at CEL (Crystal Entity Layer) a while ago and again recently. It has change a bit between the two and has become much more usable. It is basically an implementation of the Component Entity model on top of crystal space. It provides a number of common "Property classes" which can be used foir various game types. If you look up celstart there are a number of "small games" that have examples of using CEL to create simple things using entirely game data and scripting.

Anyhow, just thought i would add that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement