Study Major Q: Comp Sci vs Comp Prog

Started by
20 comments, last by M Eversberg II 16 years, 5 months ago
Dude, just keep at the maths, take off distractions and look at it... Its not that difficult, you just have to keep away from multithreading (music, msn, facebool) while working and you'll fine...

Intelligence is useless without effort! ;^)

Good Luck!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by M Eversberg II

I would like to ask the board if they think I made the right choice? The Computer Programming major requires much less math, and includes a number of classes on Operating Systems and networking that are not part of a Computer Science degree there. I'm still, like most college students, unsure of what I want to 'do' in the future, but have I harmed my job outlook by opting for the "lesser" of the two programs? Game creation is still a plausible hobby for me (still have this RTS concept I think is neat, and will probably talk about that soon) and I think, as far as that goes, I'm not 'missing out' on anything. At least, I don't think.

As far as careers in the game industry goes, I don't think that would be something I would do, as I've heard a lot of negativity, and SEEN a lot of bad business practices of late.
:|

I would suggest you stick it out a little longer, but in the end this choice is obviously up to you. The school I attend offers 3 tracks within the BS CS. Make for dam sure that you really don't like math before you make this decision. It WILL limit your potential jobs. I personally thought I was no good at math until I turned 30 and decided to quit my job and go back to school and get my BS-CS (I had a AA in Computer Programming that basically limited me to tech support and in house programming projects... jobs no one else wants to do). I am now taking a proof based math class that is the hardest thing I have ever done (the intro class into all upper division mathematics). I put a good 30hrs a week of study into this class. It is very enlightening.

In any case you are young (i assume). I suggest you give it one more solid try (not a 'college try') before you make up your mind. And btw... I constantly think about switching to liberal studies while in the aforementioned math class. Getting frustrated is part of learning. Just make yourself think about the problem and sooner or later you will say 'ahh I see'.

∫Mc
I'm currently a senior in high school, so obviously the thought on college curricula is very much in front of me as someone who is going to pursue a CS-or-similar degree. My personal thought is to challenge yourself; it can only help later. As a high school student, I'm currently taking AP Calculus (hopefully to score high enough on the AP exam to get some college credits) and, as often as I struggle with it (which is often and not aided by the fact that we're being taught by a student teacher and not our actual teacher with experience), I find that if I look at things that confuse me and ask "What the hell is going on here," I can start to gain an understanding of what's happening. I encourage you to stick it out as well.
I may eventually undergo a CS degree attempt in the future. The math will more than likely be my electives. Another thing that has helped me decide to switch is the courses like introduction to databases, LAN administration, , and System Analysis and Design; skills I can turn around more quickly. I have a military base near by, and it attracts companies like BAE (office up the street), General Dynamics (between me and said BAE), Northrup Grummin (about 1 min away from Gen. Dynamics), and numerous other companies. I know employees and people in said companies and I may be able to land a job with them to help with my next level of studies (St. Mary's College is 30 mins from my house, and it is apparently a 'good' school). Internships with these could also help.

M.
<work in progress>
2 points:

1. "In the future" is dangerous when considering something as time consuming as a degree. It's difficult even without a job, a significant other, kids, bills... and the added recreation needed to keep you sane in the face of all that.

2. Beware of the 'quick turn-around' courses. College is not a trade school. You're paying to learn stuff that will last you the rest of your life. Current technology is going to be gone in a few years at the most. Don't waste your time and money learning stuff you can just as easily learn on your own or on the job. Learn the maths, algorithms, physics... Stuff that will serve you for all your days and will be significantly harder to learn without the benefit of schooling.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
2 points:

1. "In the future" is dangerous when considering something as time consuming as a degree. It's difficult even without a job, a significant other, kids, bills... and the added recreation needed to keep you sane in the face of all that.

2. Beware of the 'quick turn-around' courses. College is not a trade school. You're paying to learn stuff that will last you the rest of your life. Current technology is going to be gone in a few years at the most. Don't waste your time and money learning stuff you can just as easily learn on your own or on the job. Learn the maths, algorithms, physics... Stuff that will serve you for all your days and will be significantly harder to learn without the benefit of schooling.

Physics is going to be my science focus. I figure, of any physical science, it would serve me better than bio or chem.

M.
<work in progress>
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes" - Edsger Dijkstra

Computer science is the abstract mathematical part. You can use a telescope without being an astronomer, but an astronomer probably has a deeper understanding of what you can see in it.
Quote:Original post by Vorpy
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes" - Edsger Dijkstra

Computer science is the abstract mathematical part. You can use a telescope without being an astronomer, but an astronomer probably has a deeper understanding of what you can see in it.

True enough. Well, later today I finalize my changes. I really do think this is the best move for me at this time. I'm not going to neglect the math, and I will still take up through calc eventually, but with the way things are here right now I think it's best I get practical skills backed by paper. I do agree with learning skills on the job but the decent to work for companies around here aren't going to look at you if you claim to have the skill -- too risky a venture.

M.
<work in progress>
Quote:Original post by M Eversberg II
True enough. Well, later today I finalize my changes. I really do think this is the best move for me at this time. I'm not going to neglect the math, and I will still take up through calc eventually, but with the way things are here right now I think it's best I get practical skills backed by paper. I do agree with learning skills on the job but the decent to work for companies around here aren't going to look at you if you claim to have the skill -- too risky a venture.

M.

Then don't claim to have the skill... Decent to work for companies are smart enough to know that 'Introduction to Databases' and 'LAN Administration' are 1 week with a book to get you started. They can teach you that if you're a little weak there. They can't teach you proper algorithm analysis in a week. They can't teach you rigid body dynamics in a week.

Every potential employee has weaknesses; things they're going to have to pick-up on the job. Make your's a minor detriment, common for a new graduate, not a deal-breaker.

If you're going to come ask for advice from people actually working, who actually know the needs and desires of programming teams (rather than the stupid keyword laden trash HR posts as job requirements) it would be prudent of you to actually take the advice.
IT is not a bad switch from a pure CS track. I know a few people who did not want to go through the physics and math, so they switched over to the IT track. I suggested you stick it out a little longer because I perceived your post as a little unsure of what to do. It looks like you made up you mind some time before this post.

Good Luck.
∫Mc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement