• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Pokemon Destiny Online

This topic is 3827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello to all at GameDev.net. I'm new to the forums, but not to the site. I have spent many hours on NeHe looking over their tutorials, and have had only little trouble understanding them. I have not gone through all the tutorials though because I learn better from interaction with others than reading off a site, that's why I'm here on the forums. I'm looking for help to create an online Pokemon game called Pokemon Destiny Online (PDO). If I could get people from here to come over to my forums and help me with it or just teach me here or on IM, that would be great. My forum is listed at www.geocities.com/pokemondestiny. If you wish to contact me on IM, my yahoo screen name is pokemondestiny, and soon I will make a .Net Passport for msn: pokemondestiny@yahoo.com. Anyway, I'm hoping for the game to be done in OpenGL for C++, and possibly supported by DirectX. Any help you can render me is a great contribution to the game itself.

Advertisement
One more thing I forgot. I have not asked permission from Nintendo to do this project. I do not expect to try to ask and receive an answer, because I know of how busy they are. This is a fan-based project, so of course it'll be freeware, and I will not use any sprites, sounds, etc. from them. Everything will be created by contributing fans. Thank you for your time on reading this ^^

Quote:
Original post by PokeDestiny
One more thing I forgot. I have not asked permission from Nintendo to do this project. I do not expect to try to ask and receive an answer, because I know of how busy they are. This is a fan-based project, so of course it'll be freeware, and I will not use any sprites, sounds, etc. from them. Everything will be created by contributing fans. Thank you for your time on reading this ^^

Don't think that means you won't get into trouble. A freeware fan creation is still copyright infringement. You would be better off deciding what type of a game this will be, and making it a Pokemon-like original creation. You may also end up with a better game this way, since you will be relying on the game design itself and not just the name of a popular franchise that you don't own the rights to.

Be on the safe side. Nobody wants to spend their effort on a game then be forced to abandon it after a lawsuit threat!

If you don't believe me, read this.

In short, it would be best to create your own content, your own ideas, and implement that for your own game. It is good to go ahead and get in the habit of not using someone else's IP without getting written permission (which you would not get permission from Nintendo).

Lawsuit from today

Of course that is a bit different than your situation, but it should help in backing pi_equals_3's post.

This brings up an interesting point: what about the loads of fan art from the video games? What differences are there that keep fan art from being slammed by Nintendo's lawyers? They must be violating copyright law as well. Is it just because to the sheer volume of fan art (compared to fan games) that makes it inefficient to target and thus more likely to be ignored?

My understanding is that fan art is also technically a copyright violation, but since it doesn't do harm to the company most companies won't bother to chase it up - it's probably worse to get a reputation as someone who stomps on their fans.

Fan games are different in the case of Pokemon, because you are directly competing in the area that the original games are. This would be especially true for an online game, as I don't think Pokemon has an online game out yet but is IMO a highly likely candidate to do so some time in the future. You've also got the trademark issue; Nintendo doesn't want people diluting their brand with a low quality variant of their games.

I would gladly render services to an original idea. I might even hold still long enough to generate several original ideas that could be used by themselves or in conjunction. I would, however, warn that an MMO of any type is a monster to take on and a beast to handle.

But aside from that, I'm all for helping you make something original, if you're interested...

-Albert

PS- Oh, and when it gets time for content, I'm a 3D modeler by night... :P

Nintendo holds the Copyrights of the names, characters and artworks of every Pokemon-related thing. What they DO NOT own is the IDEA of monsters battling each other and being trained to become more powerful. That's why there are so many mid-to-low-quality Pokémon rip-offs. They are relying on the CONCEPT, but not using any copyright protected IP (Intellectual Property, for the wonderers). If you erase EVERY reference to Pokémon names and artwork, then you'll be safe, so the first thing you should do is to change the NAME of your idea. You can publicly say it's a "Pokemon-like game" and no one could prevent it, just be careful, ok?

Fighterguard, I love your thought, and I think I'm gonna use it to my advantage. And I believe with a bit of help, we could possibly come up with something better than I had originally planned, and take the idea of Pokemon to a whole new level without any copyright. I still have a basis of the game set out, but if anyone would like to help, it would be appreciated. Now, instead of Pokemon Destiny Online, I'll just cut it short and make it Destiny Online, where you create your own destiny and just about anything is possible :) And now, zog34, if u wanna help, pm me on here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement