Simple N00b C# Question

Started by
14 comments, last by Cygon 16 years, 5 months ago
Then I think you are going to have to go with a unique identifier method. So impliment an "auto-index" like a database would use. Just create a static member set at zero to start. Have a static method give you an int that is the current value of the member and then increment the value one. This will make sure you will alway have a unique value. If you need more you can alway go with a double. Use the "auto-index" as your dictionary look up value and that should make it pretty simple.

This would protect you from duplicates that are just references, because they would all have the same "auto-index".

theTroll
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Catafriggm
The values of the object will be changing. A hash code of an object suddenly changing while it's in the table would break any hash table implementation.

Wouldn't a value of an object changing - to match the value of another one in the table - break any implementation anyway?

Quote:Besides that, "duplicate", in this case, is referring to multiple references to the same instance of a class. There is no data in the class itself that is unique to one instance compared to any other.

... Oh. Well, in that case, it sounds like you want "reference semantics" rather than "value semantics" (Google). In C#, AFAIK, you do this by using 'class' instead of 'struct', and then simply not providing the functions for equality and hash-code creation, instead relying on the base Object implementation. (The default "hash code" is, basically, the "location in memory" of the object - although that concept is heavily abstracted by both the virtual machine and the OS. Anyway, the point is that two objects which are not *the same object* will always be considered not-equal - and further, one will be consistently considered "less than" the other, although the decision is somewhat arbitrary - even if they hold the same *data*.)
Quote:Original post by TheTroll
Well if you know the answer then why are you asking us mere mortals?

What I don't know:
- Is there a way to do <, > on references (rather than the contents of the objects themselves)? The <, > don't need to have any particular meaning other than that if A < B at one point, A < B at some later point, after various members of both have changed.
- Does GetHashCode (or some other hash provider) return something that can reliably be used in a hash table, and is based on the reference itself, rather than the contents of the item? E.g. garbage collection will move things around; will the hash code change on GC? Is the hash code more or less evenly distributed among values for raw references? Will the hash code change if the members in the object referenced change?

What I do know:
- Dictionary is fast (O(1)). But I would need the ability to generate a hash code for a raw reference.
- SortedDictionary is also fast (O(log N)). But I would need a way to do <, > for a raw reference.

Cygon: Ehhh. I suppose if I can't find anything better I could assign each entry in the list a random number to use as the hash key. It would be ugly, but I suppose it would work. Thx for the info.

I don't get it - if you're using the dictionary, why do you need a hash? It will do unique key checks on its own, deletes, insert, and test.

Edit - I missed the whole structure thing. I'd say as Zahlman suggested, use a class instead.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
(The default "hash code" is, basically, the "location in memory" of the object - although that concept is heavily abstracted by both the virtual machine and the OS. Anyway, the point is that two objects which are not *the same object* will always be considered not-equal - and further, one will be consistently considered "less than" the other, although the decision is somewhat arbitrary - even if they hold the same *data*.)

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Quote:Original post by Zahlman
(The default "hash code" is, basically, the "location in memory" of the object - although that concept is heavily abstracted by both the virtual machine and the OS. Anyway, the point is that two objects which are not *the same object* will always be considered not-equal - and further, one will be consistently considered "less than" the other, although the decision is somewhat arbitrary - even if they hold the same *data*.)

You do realize that this completely disagrees with what the MSDN says?

You can not be sure that the default hashes of objects will be unique. It blatantly states that in the MSDN.

So you could end up with the same has for different object instances, thus breaking your system.

The only way I can see if for you to create your own unique identifier for each object.

theTroll
Cygon: Ehhh. I suppose if I can't find anything better I could assign each entry in the list a random number to use as the hash key. It would be ugly, but I suppose it would work. Thx for the info.

Usually, you would override the GetHashCode() and Equals() methods of your class. GetHashCode() doesn't need to be unique, but you'll achieve better performance with Hashtables and likewise containers if you don't just return '0', so if you've got any members that are likely to be the main sources of difference between two objects, just XOR their hashcodes and return that.

In Equals() you will have to do a manual one-by-one comparison of all fields in your object.

Take note, however, that the containers do not expect their keys to change. If you modify one of your keys, you'll have to remove the old key from the container, change it and reinsert it into the container.

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement