• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Programmer's Websites

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Guys, I am a soon to be a software engineer graduate and I am currently building a website to host my portfolio but I am having trouble getting some inspiration so I thought I would ask the Gamedev.net community for some! My website is www.zypherbomb.com There is content there but it is highly under construction. I am trying get away from what I have now because it just seems bland and not really focused. What do you guys think? Anyone have awesome websites they want to share? [Edited by - Zyphar on November 1, 2007 12:10:05 PM]

Advertisement
Might want to fix the link. Also, try checking out Members->Developer Journals up top. They're not websites, but they still have quite a bit of pretty good stuff, even several commercial game developers.

The animated gifs seem unprofessional to me. And the images didn't show in the Java section. Have you tried searching "online portfolio", "programming portfolio" for examples?

Quote:
Original post by firstelder_d
The animated gifs seem unprofessional to me. And the images didn't show in the Java section. Have you tried searching "online portfolio", "programming portfolio" for examples?

Yea I am still working on the Java section.

Thanks for the input though. I am trying to stray away from the black background and white text since give a little bit of a unprofessional look as well. But I do enjoy something animated rather then a still picture.

I found Kurt Miller's portfolio which is a little bland but it presents his projects pretty clearly. I like that.

The content is impressive, but I would suggest avoiding tables and staying consistent for the navigation on the left.

Otherwise, I'd say it's great. [smile]

When I was redoing my portfolio site, I used this guy's site as an inspiration. What I like about it is that it's nice and clean, easy to navigate, and still has a little personality. Also, look at how much color he's using. It's not much at all. By comparison, the current zypherbomb.com site has wayyy too much color going on. (Also, blue text on a black background is a big no no)

So my suggestions for your site:

Light background
Two-color scheme for the text (black and something else)
All the links should go in the same place (the way you currently have a resume link at the top is kind of confusing)
Consolidate your content into fewer pages. Maybe even put it all on one page. Having 1 page with 10 items on it feels a lot more full than having 5 pages with 2 items each.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement