• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SomeDude49

[.net] Few questions, need help badly...

This topic is 4007 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

first of all, whenever i try to create a new c# project, i get the message at the bottom "project creation failed". why is this so, and how can i fix this? also, i can't install .net 3.0. i've got it downloaded, but it doesn't install, and says there was a problem half way through. last of all, i don't know if this belongs in this forum, but what is the difference between C# and C++? Thanks.

Advertisement
C# is managed, meaning things like pointers and garbage collection are done (managed) for you.

C++ is much older, and you can write code that is faster, but you have to do memory management.

C# is a bit easier I think. It can do anything C++ can.

C# is windows only. (Well, MS only)
C++ is usable almost everywhere.

Are you using windows vista?

Quote:
Original post by ididntdoit
C# is managed, meaning things like pointers and garbage collection are done (managed) for you.

C++ is much older, and you can write code that is faster, but you have to do memory management.

C# is a bit easier I think. It can do anything C++ can.

C# is windows only. (Well, MS only)
C++ is usable almost everywhere.

Are you using windows vista?

C# vs. C++ misinformation again.

C++ is not really much faster then C#, what the developer does in a lot more important then the api.

C# is not MS only, try looking up Mono.

You can do anything you can do in C++ in C#.

theTroll

no, i'm not using vista. i have windows xp sp2. visual basic doesn't work either, but c++ does.

any ideas as to why this is happening? it used to work a long time ago. now that i've gotten back into programming it seems as though it doesn't really like me...

when i try to open "starting a project" on the left i get something about packets. how can i fix this? i really want to start to learn programming now...

theTroll

"not really much faster" is still faster.

Mono emulates MS in a way.

SomeDude49

1) What version of visual studio are you running?
2) What version of .Net is on your system?

If I *had* to stab at this, Id guess it has something to do with .net 3.0. AFAIK, only .Net 2.0 is needed for MSVS 2005 (express or full).

Also, what exactly is the error saying? Usually theres something googleable in there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!