• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

nOOb question on hair in game engines...?

This topic is 3732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I'm very new to game engines but I have a good amount of knowledge in modeling, texturing, etc. I'm working with a client who uses Ogre for his engine. I'm creating a character for him and he asked about hair, he suggested transmapping. Would this be the best option? I was thinking more along the lines of just creating hair geometry (polys). What would you suggest and why? Thanks for any and all help. Regards

Advertisement
I certainly would not create geometry for individual strands of hair. Although with proper mesh batching you could do this...(though you could certainly not model the hundred thousand strands of hair on a typical human head and you could only be successful with proper batching and depending on how many characters you have and how complex your game world is)...it is very likely overkill. I assume by "transmapping" you mean textured meshes with transparency to give the illusion of different strands of hair. That is pretty standard practice, and there can be a few layers of meshes to make the hair look fuller. The meshes can also be morphed or potentially attached to a physics system to make the hair move as the character moves, or to do a fake wind-blown hair look. Lighting and material properties can make the hair look more or less...real. Here's a couple of links:

Practical Real-Time Hair Rendering and Shading (more on the programming/tech side, but shows some possibilities)

Low Poly Hair (a really nice tutorial on creating hair that is suitable for games)

Thanks for replying.
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to model each strand of hair individually, I was talking more along the lines of like "anime" hair...though that would look so, well...anime. lol! And not all that great, unless that's the look you're going after.
What you shared is perfect my friend, I appreciate your help very much!
Thanks for the links will dive into now.
Regards

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement