• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yfio

Text-games

This topic is 4004 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Once again I have to realize that my game idea either required: Expensive program or Too advanced language for a beginner. What I need to know, do any of you have any suggestions for languages that are ideal for text-based games?

Advertisement
If you are talking about text adventures or RPGs, there is a dicussion of some of the various languages designed specifically for that purpose here.

Unless I'm stupid, it would seem that all the languages mentioned in the links are meant for more linear games, where I intend to produce an open-ended game.

If you are unsure what I mean, I'm aiming to make a game not unlike a MUD, but rather in singleplayer.

All the main programming languages are "turing complete". That means anything you can do with one language you can do with any of the others. It may be easier to do different things in different languages but you can do the same things with all of them.

The problem is one of the user (aka you don't know how to program yet). Essentially, just pick any language (most suggest Python for beginners). Along the way as you learn to program, everything will be possible.

-me

Okay - I've already toyed a bit with Python. The only problem is the inability to make Python programs .exe files.

Await further threads with idiotic questions in the coming [insert time span].

Quote:
Original post by yfio
Okay - I've already toyed a bit with Python. The only problem is the inability to make Python programs .exe files.

I believe there's a program called py2exe or something along those lines which allows you to do just that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!