• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Gui's and signal/slot or observers

This topic is 3768 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A lot of GUI systems work with observers or signal slot systems. Is there any particular reason why this is done? Is it somehow unacceptable to use a system where once every frame, you call "draw" and "handle" to all gui objects (you call it only once because a container contains them all and that one passes the handle and call draws on to all the elements), and where inside the gameloop you do something like "if(exitButton.pressed()) exit();"? I'm just asking because all the GUI systems I know don't do it that way, to know if my way may is maybe unacceptable.

Advertisement
It is not unacceptable to use another system. Irrlicht for instance uses a similar system to yours (with regards to "draw" and "handle"), but for knowing whether a button was clicked you make a class that inherits from IEventReceiver and you implement your own OnEvent-method in which you can react to GUI messages like button clicks.

I think that that way is a rather straight forward way to doing gui's and produces good results. I guess the observer pattern could be usefull if you wanted to implement skins.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement