• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do you come up with game concepts?

This topic is 3821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Seriously..I'm stuck in the world of RTS and 2D MMO's and shooters, which I know im not even capable of. How do I come up with some basic original ideas for creating custom games that no ones made. I'm just stuck.

Advertisement
Stop thinking game ideas and just think ideas then after think how do I make this a computer game. Look around you.

Here's some original ideas just from looking out my window I can see fire works going off and a building site with this thread now in my head I just came up with a few ideas around the same principle demolition lots of building games and lots of games where you blow stuff up. lets say the game consist of an AI building a city similar to sim city or making a park like theme park whats the aim of the game just have fun blowing up the city being built add a few more features possibly give the player a reason/story not really need with the amount of explosions you can include.

Theme driving instructor a comical game where you play a driving instructor you have to build up a company get clients and teach them how to drive just a new twist of theme hospital/park.

Pick a setting brainstorm every little thing you can think about that setting or use an object or action and do the same.

Best way to come up with completely original ideas is to stop trying all togther and just wait till one happens by accident.

Steal.

Take an existing game. Take another existing game. Combine them. Most of what you come up with will be ridiculous, but you'll find some goodies in there. Ever heard of Basegolf? Combine driving with shooting and you get Spy Hunter, or RC Pro-Am for NES and GameBoy.

It's a time honored tradition.

Good artists copy. Great artists steal. - Pablo Picasso

True, and don't stress yourself out for finding an original idea. A not-so new game idea that's well executed would work out better than a cobbled-together work of something that only looks good on paper. Remember that you're a programmer first, but not necessarily a game designer, so play to your strengths.

My ideas usually just come to me. The only game brainstorming I do is occasionally sitting down and just trying to think of some sort of fun gameplay mechanic to hook the gamer, and how to build a game around it. Something simple to grasp, but potentially deep. Something that, when you "do it" or "use it" right, you get a sense of satisfaction. The glove in Wild 9, or the gravity gun in Half Life 2, or the portal gun in Portal are good examples. Even though those are big-budget games, the little gameplay hooks are pretty simple concepts that a small, spare-time type project could be built around.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Steal.

Good artists copy. Great artists steal. - Pablo Picasso
It was Albert Einstein who also said, "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

For me, aside from borrowing ideas from other games, I do two things to come up with game ideas: smoke and take a long shower. All of my best ideas have come to me in the shower.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement