• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

ok GAME IDEA!!!!

This topic is 3734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

now first off, I hope this is where this post belongs. now I have mulled this game idea over for a long time. it wold be an RPG style game, with a Warcraft/splinter cell/grand theft auto FPS mission based team story line flavor game(lol). hear me out now, hope I explain it well. main focus would be on FPS WarCraft, with 4 players on a team, and it would be a MMORPG game, with the enemy being NPC. players could choose which side they want to start. you would be traveling across the tundra as a team headed toward a particluar(unimportant none the less) destination,with sudden encounters with the apposing force(NPCs). the traveling would be over head style point-n-click until you reach an area close to the enemy. then it would auto-switch to FPS. approaching the enemy could be decided in any fashion between team members thru chat. when decision is made as to attack plan, each team member goes their own route, in FPS mode. the NPCs would be semi-intelligent and very response sensitive. lets say if you decide to take a watch guard out in a tower with a Bow. you could use bullet time style effects when you shoot the arrow. the conflicts would all be in FPS mode. when you have defeated the enemy and decide to leave. you return to over head skycam mode there could even be interactive video for conversation with non-intrusive NPCs, with pre-determined reply options. each online game would only consist of 4 players in each game, set up in a game list. there could also be game styles to choose from in game setup,like maybe escaping with stolen merchandise, rescuing stolen merchandise, off to rescue a hostage, maybe out to assassinate someone. you would come across hostile forces along the way to your core mission destination,which could make it extremely difficult to reach your mission goal. yo would earn XP by how you succeed against hostile forces along the way, in addition to your initial goal. avoiding the hostile forces along the way can result in not only missing out on BONUS XP,but also neg XP at the end of mission, if you succeed? Now I don't know if this could work online, but I have always thought it would be an awesome game. please give me some feedback, your thoughts,ideas,likes or dislikes. I wanna hear them. Thanx Montee

Advertisement
The tundra is certainly a biome which is underleveraged in the MMO marketplace. Anyways, on the face of it it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Now go make it into an actual design.

If you want the MMORPG part alive then you should consider these.

1) Character Enhancement
What good is XP or LVLing? For more maps and more adventures? That's a reason alright. However, we should consider community breakdown because of the LVL itself. Assume that you reached 17 lvls and you've joined a newbie game session where members other than you happens to be like lvl 2 lvl 3 lvl 1. Unless you design a very good in-game autobalancing, you would just exit the session looking for suitable lvl members.

2) The rich-get-richer...
It is possible that mediocre and high lvl player characters will stay in hellishly hard game maps, or other freshly updated new maps. On a second thought, its one way conveyer belt where you should pour game contents from one end so that running players could enjoy those. As a result, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.
That means we need economy. High item circulation/destroy mechanism is required.

3) Carrot stick once more
There will be times when we can no longer rely on new maps and new monsters, and have to come up another destination of the game. That will be player vs player since any of the NPC packed maps can't be more dynamic and update free than PvP maps. For this, we should have to prepare for skills to go in hands with PvP as well.
Don't forget to list champions on each map (by elapsed time, earned XP, etc) and PvP arena (total win/lose, rank etc).

4) Recycling?
Games like this suffers replayability issue unless you are pretty well prepared for giving the reason why peoples should visit the already-done-inearly-days map.
Random terrain generation (looks random, in fact fabrication as we know) can be a good start, but in that case the map becomes less strategic and more vanilla-ish.
Setting difficulty levels, NPC fame (when you conquest mountain maps over and over, dwarves love you and let you buy some special things etc) or just go crazy and make hell of a lot items and systematically send rumors using the mouth of a NPC seer that "Today, an incredible bandit named Quizzar hid himself in Frozen Woods" and make em go there, get trinkets :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement