Porting codebase from vc6 to vc8 (MFC)

Started by
0 comments, last by Randy of Neuron 16 years, 5 months ago
I am moving an old large codebase into vs2005. This is the second time I have been through this process, but this time I have hit a snag I didn't the first time. My Menu items no longer fire their message declared in the mainframe's message map. All resources id's look intact, I even compared it against the other project I moved (they were the same code base a couple years ago) and can't see differences that would cause this. It is an MDI application. All the messages in Views still process fine it would seem. Anyone have any ideas? Or at least can explain to me how to get the message pump outputing to the debug window so I can see if they are being consumed somewhere I am not expecting?
Advertisement
I have had tons of experience porting from lower level VS to upper. Here are some thoughts.

1. Make sure to do a clean build before you compile and test (I assume you have, but sometimes people don't)

2. If you want to see the messages (this takes a bit of a learning curve) Visual Studio comes with a program called WinSpy. You can configure it to show you all the messages a window recieves. Just run you program, run winspy, and drag the cross hairs from winspy to your window. It will show you everything, even too much. So you will have to go in and configure the filter to show only menu messages or what you want to see.

Also if I hit a snag like this, I just go to MSDN and post to MS. If you have an MSDN subscription it is free. They will answer anything.

Hope I could help.
Sincerely,Randy Trulsonwww.NeuronGames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement