• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
miminawewe

Is this price OK?

This topic is 3908 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got an estimate for the following PC specs. Is it worth $2,100? Do you know a cheaper place? I'm planning to import from Europe/US. ASUS P5GC-MXG45GL MOTHERBRD/INTEL CORE 2 DUOE6600 2.4 GHZ PROCESSOR/2GB DDR2 RAM/160GB SATA II HDISK/20X DVD R/RW/ 9IN1 CARD READER/RAEDEON X1050 256MB PCI-E VGA/INTEGRATED REALTEK ALC883 HIGH DEF SOUND/500WATT POWER SUPPLYATX CASING/ (RECOMMENDED) NOT SEE THROUGH Thanks.

Advertisement
Hey there, about a year ago I got a couple similar rigs, though instead of the ATI X1050(really?!?) I got a Geforce 8800 GTS, and those machines only cost me ~$1,900 each, tax and all, and I got a lot of extras in them.

You can purchase an ATI x1300 for about $69.99...maybe less. I'm having trouble finding low end cards to purchase (new) (for testing purposes), that is about the cheapest one I can find around here.

I got the computers I mention above at a local computer shop [ Intrex ], so I got the 4 year warranty, a special case w/extra fans, neon lights [speeds the computer up about 10% ;-)], a 1000W power supply, 500GB HDs, etc...for < $2,000 a year ago.

So I would say $2,100 is a very high price...almost rediculously high.

- Danny

Hey Dan,
It's good to hear from you. I hope your game is coming along fine. Can you please give me the contacts of the computer shop [Intrex]? If you know any other good computer shop also send me the contacts.
Gaenor: THANKS for the details. It's a PC.

Quote:
Original post by miminawewe
Hey Dan,
It's good to hear from you. I hope your game is coming along fine. Can you please give me the contacts of the computer shop [Intrex]? If you know any other good computer shop also send me the contacts.
Gaenor: THANKS for the details. It's a PC.

Well Intrex is a totally local shop. I'm not sure if they would ship to you...but their site is here... [ http://www.intrex.com/ ] you can build computers online and save them for later, etc. Though I doubt they will be of use to you [ they are a local NC, USA shop], it was just a point of reference...maybe seek out some local computer shops if possible? Though I think the lack of said shops is your reason for importing.

Where did you get the price quote for the computer you listed?? For a PC/Desktop the price is extremely high as Gaenor pointed out...that computer should only cost you a few hundred bucks.

I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to check out some shops near my area. Most of the shops I trust are Dell/HP partners, the other shops mostly have cheap used stuff which might be a problem so importing seems to be the best option.
There's a guy I know who imports so I asked him for a price estimate and that's what he gave me. As far as I know computers aren't charged tax on importation so I was suspicious that the price was high.
I finished the game I was working on in January. It was more like a small demo. The graphics were low end but at least I learnt what I wanted to learn. It was my first ever game so it's quite an accomplishment. Check it out at www.sinc-studios.com
Thanks for your help. I'm going to check out other stores like Best Buy etc. I think they can ship them to me via Fedex or DHL.

Cool, good luck. Congrats on finishing your project also!

I'm still working on mine lol...BETA through Fileplanet/IGN/Gamespy coming up soon...it's a lot of pressure. I type this as I wait for the game to build...

Hopefully you can find a better price...do report back with your findings :-)

Looking at the price and the pieces it makes no sense... it should be WAYYY below $2100. More like $1100-$1300 not $2100 =S

I built a quad core 2 weeks ago for about 1050 with all around better specs and a TB of HD space. If you're buying pre-built the prices are going to be jacked up like that. Considered building your own?

I'm thinking of building my own. I think I need to research a bit on the net to get components that are compatible. Is there a website that has suggestions on which hardware combinations work best for gaming PCs and game development PCs? Mmmhh a short cut would be to see the specs of already built PCs and check out the components they have.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!