Interesting Performance Issue

Started by
3 comments, last by greystone2 16 years, 5 months ago
Okay, so I have created a simple pong clone in Ubuntu using SDL. A friend of mine compiled the source on a win32 machine, no problem. However, when we run the executable (or whenever we run the app on a different machine with Ubuntu on it, for that matter), the performance just DIES. Any ideas? Source can be downloaded at: http://www.aaronknapp.com/downloads/Source.zip I'm not really sure what pertinent parts of the code to show, ask me and I will pass it along. Thanks, gs
Advertisement
Sorry for the bump, the OP is a profile I no longer have access too apparantly...

So I programmed this Pong clone in SDL under Ubuntu. Game runs fine on my machine (athlon 64 3500+, 2GB ram, nvidia 7900 gt). Buddy of mine builds the source on a Windows machine, similar specs to mine. Game is unplayable on any Windows machine that I try. ~2 FPS, on average. Even tried to play the game on a different machine running Ubuntu, and I get the same problem.

So my question is, what do you think the source of the problem is? Is it something in the source code? Maybe in the way I compiled it? The game is ~1000 lines of code so I won't try and post it all here. My main loop looks like:

main(int argc, char* argv[]){	// initialize the game	ConsoleInit();		// enter the main loop	for (;;)	{		if (SDL_PollEvent(&g_Event) == 0)		{			// run real-time functions			ConsoleMain();		}		else		{			if (g_Event.type == SDL_QUIT) break;		}	}		// shutdown the game	ConsoleShutdown();		// return success	return 0;}

With ConsoleMain() looking like:
int ConsoleMain(){	// draw the objects	ball.Draw(g_pDisplaySurface);	pc.Draw(g_pDisplaySurface);	npc.Draw(g_pDisplaySurface);	npc.Move();		// move the objects	ball.Move();	// grab the keyboard state	kbarray=SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);	if(kbarray[SDLK_a] == 1)	{		pc.SetXVel(-1);		pc.Move();	}		if(kbarray[SDLK_d] == 1)	{		pc.SetXVel(1);		pc.Move();	}			SDL_Rect rect1 = ball.GetBoundingRect();	SDL_Rect rect2 = pc.GetBoundingRect();	SDL_Rect rect3 = npc.GetBoundingRect();		if ( IsCollision( rect1, rect2 ) )		ball.SetYVel(-(ball.GetYVel() ));				if ( IsCollision( rect1, rect3  ) )		ball.SetYVel(-(ball.GetYVel() ));		time_t seconds;	time(&seconds);	srand((unsigned int) seconds);	int rand_num = rand() % (10);		if (ball.GetX() < npc.GetX())	{		if (rand_num < 7)			npc.SetXVel(-1);		else			npc.SetXVel(1);	}	else	{		if (rand_num < 7)			npc.SetXVel(1);		else			npc.SetXVel(-1);	}return 1;}

Any thoughts?

EDIT: sorry, I don't know how to properly format blocks of code, if someone tells me how I will change it =)

EDIT EDIT: FIXED =)

[Edited by - greystone2 on November 5, 2007 8:49:44 AM]
Quote:Original post by greystone2
EDIT: sorry, I don't know how to properly format blocks of code, if someone tells me how I will change it =)

source tags :)
For posting longer source code you should use the [ source lang="cpp" ][/ source ] tags.

Your problem is weird. On Windows it could be that the GDI graphics driver is beeing used which does not have hardware acceleration. You could try to "set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx" from a DOS box and then run the game from the DOS box to see if performance changes. You might also want to use a profiler to see where the bottleneck is.
Yeah that's the tag I needed, thanks =)

As for the DOS command, I will try that when I get home. Any suggestions on how/which profiler to use? I don't have a lot of programming experience but I remember reading the Enginuity articles here on gamedev.net once upon a time that had some sort of class profiler in it. Probably way more than a pong clone will ever need, but is there anything else I can use?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement