• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
notbad

A little design problem with my entitmanager, could anyone help?

This topic is 3940 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I have finished writting my entity manager. It is simple, I register some types to the entity manager and I get instances through pools. When the instanced is created it is added to an internal list, and will be updated every frame. So far, so good. But here I have ran into a little problem, and it is the initialization of the entities when created. I´m using a Init/End protocol but people using RAII will have some problem. I use a call to CEntityManager::CreateInstance<T>(String defining type, name of instance). This creates the instance the way I exposed before and Initializes it calling to the instance Init. Problem, all objects doesn´t have same signature in initialization. For example a visible object will have (name,mesh file), etc... The only way I have come across to fix this is having a Param class, to all params a entity needs to initialize, and change all entities init() to use this Param class, so when I call entitymanager to crate an instance I will do: ParamClass params; params["name"]="MyInstanceName"; params["mesh"]="MyMessFileName"; EntityMgr->Create<CCamera>("CAMERA",params); and internally the create will do a pObj->Init(params), and the camera init know s how to handle the params class. So, Is this a good solution? too much overenginiering, am I crazy? any other better solution?. Thanks in advance, NotBad.

Advertisement
I don't have an answer, but i have the same problem kindof :)

At the moment i send a string containing parameters like "12 14 32 32 goblin.bmp" or something and let the init method use it as it wants(actually i'm using XML but its the same principle). I don't like it though. But it works as intended, so until someone tells me a better approach, it's there.

So i hope someone else has a better answer :) (bump)

<opinion>
I think you're overdoing it a little. Do you really need a single "create" method?
</opinion>

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!