• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Epic Battle : Skinned Mesh VS Tweening

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I was hoping to get some advice. I have bones, weights, animation, and mesh data (non-indexed) from a non-X file, and I can't pre-convert the data into an X file either. The software is being built as a tool to an already released product with data held in engine-specific encrypted files, so in order to support updates and content packages, I'm going to have to do everything on load time. Now I needed to consider rendering performance, and general ease of development, so this is where the advice comes in. I could try to convert all of my data into X file format, and use D3DXLoadMeshFromXInMemory to render like a standard X file. I could also try to create my own hierarchy and setup vertex tweening, but support of both tweening and the matrix pallet could influence that as well. I know that some tweening is done on the hardware, and I have no idea how much of the X file rendering is handled on the hardware. Basically, there seem to be a lot of different ways I can get these polygons on screen, but I was hoping for a performance evaluation/opinion.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement