Strage "new" thing using Visual-Studio 2005

Started by
4 comments, last by Ekast 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I´m using Visual Studio for quite some time now but today I came across a strange thing. It takes about 20 seconds untill the program runs using the debugger (F5). After those 20 seconds everything workes fine as usual. Starting the same program not using the debugger (ctrl + F5) works alright. The debugger output after the 20 seconds is: "Thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x73c) has exited. Code 0 (0x0)" The weired thing is every program I want to run using the debugger has that behaviour. Has anyone an idea? Thanks in advance Ralph
Advertisement
What version of Visual Studio?

Something like that is typically caused by loading the symbols (PDB files). Watch the Output window as the program starts.
You might have recently added stuff to your program that requires loading a lot more DLLs than it used to.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Hey,
The .net debug libraries spawn a whole lot of threads at runtime which keep an eye on things. Sometimes they take ages to start running because it performs lots of checks on your program before starting it.
I asked a similar question awhile back.
The problem is, I didn´t change anything at the code.
I know that .NET applications sometimes take a lot of time to start up but the programs I´ve written are all based on WinAPI or MFC.
I´ve just tried to track it down a little bit more:
It gets stuck at the function ChoosePixelFormat(...) and waits there. After that 20 sec break the output-window shows the message I´ve alredy posted in the first post:

"Thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x73c) has exited. Code 0 (0x0)"

The thing that really makes me confused is I didn´t change anything in that code at all.
The version I´m using is: 8.0.50727.42

I´m really getting crazy :-)

Ralph
Quote:Original post by Ekast
"Thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x73c) has exited. Code 0 (0x0)"

The thing that really makes me confused is I didn´t change anything in that code at all.
The version I´m using is: 8.0.50727.42

I´m really getting crazy :-)

This is normal. I don't know exactly what threads it is spawning, but they're for debugging purposes IIRC. It shouldn't be causing you any problems, and really has nothing to do with your code.
Thanks for your answers.
It looks like it has no influence on the program but it is very annoying to wait half a minute before starting. And it appeared from one day to another. I´ve never had that "idle" time before in any program I´ve ever written.
Very strange...

Ralph

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement