• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
euanmacinnes

Devil, ODE on MacOSX via C#

This topic is 3882 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working away on a little cross-platform OpenGL game+engine that I want to run on PC/Linux and MacOSX. I'm using C#/Mono and all's been going well so far on Linux and Windows, but I'm hitting walls with MacOSX: SDL, OpenGL, FreeType, Mono, the game code itself are all working on MacOSX, what's NOT working is Devil and ODE. ODE I'm yet to try, and for some reason nobody's deigned to provide a .pkg for ODE on MacOSX 10.4 yet, that I can find, so if anybody knows of one they can point out, I'm happy to use it instead of a custom compile and then making my own package to distribute. However DevIL is having a really weird issue. I installed the (last known available) 1.6.7 for MacOSX (1.6.8 is Win/Lx only), and it's put all the files in /Library/Frameworks/IL.framework/IL, but I keep getting the System.DllNotFoundException in the C# code. I've modified the Tao.DevIL.config file correctly, yet it stubbornly refuses to find the file. Anybody got any ideas? The other issue with DevIL is what is happening with it? seems like the website hasn't been updated since Sept 2006, with MacOSX packages removed from the main site. The other issue I'm having with DevIL is simply due to it's design it's not ideal for multi-threading for dynamic texture loading, the currently "bound" texture frequently gets garbled between threads, so are there any good/fast C#-based image libraries I can use instead, for .TGA, JPG and .BMP files? There are application-related reasons for supporting many image formats and not just the default .myproprietaryformat or .x etc.. [Edited by - euanmacinnes on November 2, 2007 10:47:40 PM]

Advertisement
I don't know of any specific libraries .Net image libraries, but the source code of Paint.Net should contain loaders for all of these formats. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt it (it's under the MIT license, so there shouldn't be any license problems either).

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at that. Ideally it's something that can be adapted to plug into System.Drawing.Bitmap

Would anybody be interested in that approach? If so, I'll make the code separate from the main project file so it's independently usable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!