• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gaidin

Looking for a engine for a 6DOF descent like game

This topic is 3857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for an engine for a game I've been working on. It's just a hobby project, and I personally want it to be open source. I made quite a bit of progress on it using the quake3 engine, as it seemed to have fit everything I required. The reason I've had to drop it is that I've learned the only way to get 6DOF flight in quake 3 is to essentially rewrite the entire engine in quaternions. The quake 3 engine uses euler math, which as I understand it will ultimately lead to gimbal locking. So what I'm looking for is an engine that won't have gimbal locking (i.e quaternion math libraries), and will hopefully work with my existing tool set for content creation; namely Blender and gtkRadiant. It also must work natively in Linux. I've been looking mostly at Ogre3d and Irrlicht, but from what I've read Ogre 3d doesn't have very good q3 bsp support (poor performance), and Irrlicht will suffer from gimbal locking like quake 3. Of course the ideal solution would be to figure out how to get around the gimbal locking in quake 3, so I don't lose a lot of my code, but I'm open for any engine that meets my criteria. Any suggestions.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!