Very Very Beginning ...

Started by
22 comments, last by CodeMunkie 16 years, 5 months ago
Hi all (my first post). I want to make a online game at 3rd view (GTA view, Bloodrayne ...etc). I want to make it online. I have a few questions: -> It is very hard to start to make such a game without a engine. What engine I should use ? I am thinking at http://www.blender.org www.3dgamestudio.com -> What should I use ? OpenGL or DirectX -> I am a beginner in game programming and C++ so I will need some tutorials. Where I should find the easyest tutorials ? **I know that game programming isn't that easy , but I am patient
Advertisement
Quote:I am a beginner in game programming and C++

If this is your first game you will get in over your head and frustrated quickly no matter how patient you are.

It sounds like you have something big in mind. You should start small pong is a classic, then you can progress into things like breakout, tetris, mario clones, small 3d games, etc.
Given that you are new to both C++ programming and game development, I think your best move would be to concentrate on learning C++. There is certainly nothing wrong with learning about DirectX and OpenGL but to attempt to learn everything at once will almost surely end in frustration. There is plenty you can do in terms of game development before you concern yourself with 3-d graphics and the subtleties of various engines.

If you have limited programming experience, I'd suggest taking a look at this review for Beginning C++ Game Programming - John Hattan's review towards the bottom is particularly enlightening. In my opinion, it provides an excellent structure for learning both C++ and game development fundamentals.

You might also consider taking a look at the C++ workshop forum.
I have to agree with the other posters if you are new to game development and the language you plan on writting games in I would suggest to start making other peoples small games. This is one of the best ways to learn game programming. If you work on your own huge project that you believe is going to be the next best thing, I gaurentee you will become overwhelmed and way over your head. I myself am fairly new to game programming and I had/have some good ideas of games that I don't necessarily want to build to sell but games that I would like to eventualy make...what I personally did was planned the jist of them out and then through them on the backburner.

Thats about all I have to suggest. One new game programmer to another I would suggest starting there. As to an engine I would look at Irrlicht. I have been programming games for about 4months now, learning the ropes, doing tutorials etc and then I found what and why graphics engines are important. I personaly might even suggest a beginning programmer to start learning an engines syntax and functions such as irrlicht. They do make thigns a lot easier and personally I feel that the months I spent writting DirectX code was....not wasted but I shouldn't have spent that much time on them. I say this because using Irrlicht (i don't know about other engines) you really do not use the direct X syntax...I guess the only thing it is good for is learning the concepts of meshes, rotations etc.

Anyway I hope this helps...my views may varry from another persons but that is how I feel.
Again Hope this helps;
XXChester

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

Toss me in with the rest of the posters. There are tones of things to learn after learning programing, which comes first. As said before trying to learn everything all at once can(will) overload you. Before you can make anything big you are going to need to do lots of little test and get your feel for how to do things. One thing about programing is that it only takes 1 wrong thing to bring everything to a stop. If you try and do too much all at once, you won't know where to look when a problem pops up. Experience teaches you a lot about finding problems.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
not completing games is very frustrating and it might sound discouraging that everybody tells you to make tetris when you wanna do something completely different. But its really the other way around. If you dive right into 3d and the huge game-project you talk about you'll end up giving it all up since progress will be so extremely slow you often will go backwards. Trust us on this one.

I eventually gave up on 3d alltogeter, it takes to much time to get my ideas working and i wanna see results faster. Making 2d games takes enough time for me, and i've been coding (very unproffesional though) for 6 years.

A very easy to use graphics engine (2d, uses directX) is HGE:
http://hge.relishgames.com/

There is some very simple-to-follow tutorials and all functions in the engine is veery easy to understand. You might wanna do some basic c++ tutorials first though but this engine can help you put pictures and text on-screen once you're past the console-stadium of your coding-learning.

This would be the smartest (and fastest) way to learn all this.
1. Basic c++
2. 2D basics (graphic, sound, input)
3. 2D game
4. 3D
5. networking (really messy stuff:)

E
Quote:Original post by MegaV3
Hi all (my first post).

I want to make a online game at 3rd view (GTA view, Bloodrayne ...etc). I want to make it online.

I have a few questions:

-> It is very hard to start to make such a game without a engine. What engine I should use ? I am thinking at

http://www.blender.org
www.3dgamestudio.com

-> What should I use ? OpenGL or DirectX

-> I am a beginner in game programming and C++ so I will need some tutorials. Where I should find the easyest tutorials ?

**I know that game programming isn't that easy , but I am patient

Don't use C++ (yet).
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
Quote:Original post by MegaV3
Hi all (my first post).

I want to make a online game at 3rd view (GTA view, Bloodrayne ...etc). I want to make it online.

I have a few questions:

-> It is very hard to start to make such a game without a engine. What engine I should use ? I am thinking at

http://www.blender.org
www.3dgamestudio.com

-> What should I use ? OpenGL or DirectX

-> I am a beginner in game programming and C++ so I will need some tutorials. Where I should find the easyest tutorials ?

**I know that game programming isn't that easy , but I am patient

Don't use C++ (yet).

How about telling him what TO do not just what not to do?

If I had to guess the "don't use c++" goes to an programing argument that C++ isn't a good learning language for beginners.

With that in mind C# is a fairly good language that would help you find and avoid bugs that you would get using C.

For example Arrays in C don't have any form of bounds checking but using C# with Visual Studio you will get notified with the exact point and time the error happened. In C++ you will be left guessing as to why your game crashed.

Plus it has the XNA framwork created for it which is a great way to learn about game programing elements.

------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Quote:Original post by Goober King
How about telling him what TO do not just what not to do?

If I had to guess the "don't use c++" goes to an programing argument that C++ isn't a good learning language for beginners.

With that in mind C# is a fairly good language that would help you find and avoid bugs that you would get using C.

For example Arrays in C don't have any form of bounds checking but using C# with Visual Studio you will get notified with the exact point and time the error happened. In C++ you will be left guessing as to why your game crashed.

Plus it has the XNA framwork created for it which is a great way to learn about game programing elements.

Dude. You're spoiling all the fun.
Let me be the first to say, C++ isn't that hard!

If you read a book or two and ask questions here, you'll be a C++ wiz in no time. I learned it when I was 12 and was just fine. Anyone with a drive to learn can do it.

Worst comes to worst, leave out learning classes for a little bit and then dive into some object oriented design concepts. I had a class at university that used the "Head First" books and they were GREAT although very silly.

Good Luck and Keep Posting!!!!!
James
James HammondUniversity of ColoradoDepartment of Computer Science

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement